Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car seems relatively good on paper, lightly used (<5k miles, no rust damage, all service history etc). This is the Premium trim.
The asking price is ~28 - 29k which seems a bit high but I'd be okay with it if it was a good deal. I've been looking for an XT for a bit now and its a shame that they stopped making them after 2018. Here's some pros and cons from what I can tell -
• Low mileage
• Relatively new, no damage at all as far as I can tell
• Is an XT variant!
On the down side -
• Expensive
• Subaru warranty will expire soon in ~1y
• Not a CPO car
• No EyeSight

I'd also appreciate any tips on negotiating at all because this is my first time getting a car!

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
525 Posts
IIRC, didn't the XT Premium retail for around $29-30k when it was being sold? If so, they're really not giving you much of a discount...

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,074 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to that website @subatron posted, it looks like the pricing is -
where $29,495 is the price before the destination fees of $915 and the other number is the price after.
2.0XT Premium CVT, paddle shifters
JFM​
$29,495​
$915​
$30,410​

My concern is that this car only has a year of Subaru warranty left but I'm still paying close to full price here if the numbers are all right here.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,074 Posts
I don't know whether this is possible, but you could contact Subaru customer service and see if you can purchase an extended warranty since you still have a year left on the original 3-year warranty.

Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs | Subaru of America

When you buy a new Subaru, you can purchase the extended warranty at any time during the first 3-years/30K-miles. Not sure if that would still apply to you, since you're not the original purchaser.

With that said, these things are not cheap.

Mike

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,405 Posts
That's the price you could be paying for a Touring Trim with probably 20kish miles. I would definitely opt for that over premium trim at that minor increase in mileage.

Also, what's the history say with regards to past owner. I'd be highly skeptical of a car under 2 years old which is shorter than most leases with only 5k miles. Why so few miles, and why did the owner get rid of it. Is it a problem vehicle?

There are a few folks out there like me that go through cars fast because we always are looking forward to the next thing and are selling a perfectly fine new/low mileage car...but we are few and far between.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
744 Posts
I am big fan of XT Premium but that price is way to high. Most of the SJ XT premiums were paid in $26-$27k +tax when NEW, that is why they were such a unique vehicle. $28-$29k is crazy high for me and that 5k miles doesn't change much vs lets say 25k miles, it just raises more questions. If you really want SJ XT, I would look at any premium/touring with under 3 years/36k miles and just get Subaru factory extended warranty.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
3 Posts
Over the summer I bought my wife a 2018 Premium. It had more mileage than what you are looking at (~49K), but was in excellent shape and was an ex-company lease (Johnson and Johnson). Paid a little over 20K for it. Personally, I wouldn't go for 28K on a low mileage one. These cars will go and go and go. So for the cheaper price on a few extra miles, at least to me, isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,694 Posts
The car seems relatively good on paper, lightly used (<5k miles, no rust damage, all service history etc). This is the Premium trim.
The asking price is ~28 - 29k which seems a bit high but I'd be okay with it if it was a good deal. I've been looking for an XT for a bit now and its a shame that they stopped making them after 2018. Here's some pros and cons from what I can tell -
• Low mileage
• Relatively new, no damage at all as far as I can tell
• Is an XT variant!
On the down side -
• Expensive
• Subaru warranty will expire soon in ~1y
• Not a CPO car
• No EyeSight

I'd also appreciate any tips on negotiating at all because this is my first time getting a car!

Hi, meet your (possibly) new Forester XT Premium... Lightly used, for a GREAT price (potentially).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reach out! I'm in the Pacific Southwest area so Chicago is a bit far but thank you for keeping me in mind.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,694 Posts
No problem, but sometimes for a proper deal, you'll end up having to travel. There is one more for sale in Southern California, but that car seems suspicious to me. 2 owners in a very short period of time with very high mileage. I'd pass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts