Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Im looking at buying a myself a forester x ( '03-'05 ish) and keep on hearing 2 recurring comments about them.

(A) They have extremely high service costs.
(B) They guzzle petrol.

Im pretty much sold on all the aspects of the forester and am really keen but obviously these to points need to be considered.

As for the servicing, are there people getting ripped off out there? and the cost of servicing isn't really that bad? Can anyone perhaps offer some typical costs of major/minor services?

And as for the fuel economy, are the manufacture figures of 10L/100km City and 7.2L/100km Highway a reality? or do you find the actual economy to be different?

Im sure these questions have probably been asked 1000 times before but id really like to hear some recent comments, especially regarding the servicing.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Hutchie

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Hey mate. I have a 2004 2.5 X and the fuel economy is roughly around 9.5 L / 100 km for city driving, max speed on average would be like 63. Mainly 60km/h streets but have one last 80 km/h strech home that lasts just under 2 kms. I ONLY use BP Ultimate fuel.

On long distances I have been VERY impressesed. Did a round trip of 840 km and only used 69 litres of fuel. So that is around the 8.2 mark. Some of that driving was "city driving" say about 40 kms, so figures are not exact.

To me that is great and acceptable for a car of this size with the safety features etc. Previously I had a 2003 Hilux and MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer my Foz over the Hilux any day. The Foz does all that the Hilux can do (what I did anyway), is MUCH more comfortable, looks a hell of a lot nicer and in general is just a better ride!

In terms of service costs. Each car is different. Also, it depends on the driver too. I mean if you take good REGUALR care you should be fine. Also, don't use your local Subaru dealer as they will charge you more simply because you own a Subaru. I get my Foz serviced at my local Repco dealer, price is about $50 cheaper just for a general service. Plus I like the fact that Repco have the 12 mth / 20 000 km warranty on all their parts.

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
2009 Forester
34 Posts
My fuel economy sucks dogs balls, but I have a problem, and it's not usual. What's written in the above post would normally be considered average.

As far as servicing cost, it isn't that Subarus are expensive to service, the problem is that Subaru dealers charge a lot for servicing. That being said, I haven't found it any more expensive that my previous Nissan, and what I've read elsewhere (facts from owners not hearsay from idiots) says that servicing in fairly reasonable all things considered. Just be aware that you're effectively driving a 4WD with a more complex gearbox/transfer case that needs to be serviced.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
You've been told a load of **** Hutchie. Subarus and especially the model Forester you're looking at have average fuel consumption for a vehicle of their type and fantastic service record - cheap and trouble free. They don't have one of the highest retained values of any vehicle for no reason. After 125,000km on my 07 XT it has proven to be the most trouble free of any of the 11 vehicles I have owned over 38 years and I've owned some that have an envious record for service reliability in the industry. I'm finding my local Subaru dealer as good as any I have dealt with, including costs of services. My experience just reinforces those ownership experiences of friends/work collegues. Try 546,000km from a Liberty that had nothing else but regular 12,500km services, a few sets of new tyres, a new clutch, never used any oil and driven by a lady who believes that cars are there to be driven, not cared for. That's why she has come back for her next one and at 300,000km is having the same experience again.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
You've been told a load of **** Hutchie. Subarus and especially the model Forester you're looking at have average fuel consumption for a vehicle of their type and fantastic service record - cheap and trouble free. They don't have one of the highest retained values of any vehicle for no reason. After 125,000km on my 07 XT it has proven to be the most trouble free of any of the 11 vehicles I have owned over 38 years and I've owned some that have an envious record for service reliability in the industry. I'm finding my local Subaru dealer as good as any I have dealt with, including costs of services. My experience just reinforces those ownership experiences of friends/work collegues. Try 546,000km from a Liberty that had nothing else but regular 12,500km services, a few sets of new tyres, a new clutch, never used any oil and driven by a lady who believes that cars are there to be driven, not cared for. That's why she has come back for her next one and at 300,000km is having the same experience again.
Good to hear that about the 07 mate, that is the next model on my list, like the classic shape of it.

True to about holding their resale values, very good!

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Limited
6 Posts
Hi
I have a 2001 Forester and the average fuel consumption would be just short of 10 ltr/100km.
Recently drove our son's MY06 from Perth to Darwin = 4000 km and the best fuel usage was 7.8 ltr/100km (travelling around 106 kph and no significant breeze), and the worst was 9.27 ltr/100km, into a strong head wind at around 112 kph. The average for the trip was 8.22 ltr/100km.
Hope that helps
Cheers
JosieN

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
hmm i must be doing something wrong... im avg about 12-13/100km for MY10 forster X
There's a big difference doing short trips in city traffic and an easy cruise on a country road. The difference in my 07 XT is 13.6L/100km - 7.9L/100km

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Yep beamer, it totally depends on the environment you are in. What fuel you using?

·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
well i do do short trips to work, approx 7km round trip
use caltex 95 premium most of the time. I dont think it would be worth it use the 98 premium

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
use caltex 95 premium most of the time. I dont think it would be worth it use the 98 premium
My experience is it's a waste of 5 cents a litre. And the same using premium in a non turbo.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
3 Posts
I'm an owner of a 1998 Subaru Forester. A very good vehicle and a solid value. However, I am resident on the South side of Metro Atlanta. The franchised dealer I bought it new from, eliminated Subaru after about a year. It then later progressed to a Cadillac franchised dealer nearby. And then .....well, let's just say that a dependable local dealer selling Subaru is just not a stable or dependable situation. My closest authorized Subaru dealer for sales and maintenance is about 45 miles away (one-way). The next closest is about 80 miles. For this reason, I am looking at the Kia for my replacement, which may still be several years away. Or will Subaru wise up and take ownership of the South-Metro Atlanta market?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Oh, about 2700km ago. Now you can really explore that rev range :biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 Forester Manual
38 Posts
Im getting 8.3 to 10.3 litres per 100 kilometres... This is all city driving and a few 4x4 journeys in the sand too...

I avoid BP and refuse to give them any money for fuel.... Foresters are not guzzlers... They are great on fuel..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts