Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.0XT Manual
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this Christmas my OEM 6 changer CD stereo threw up the error99 code relating to a CD carousel failure.
No problem as I have a replacement Kenwood unit that I managed to fit with the right adapter and all works fine. That is except the sub woofer.

So my question is how can I connect the original sub woofer to my new head unit?

The OEM changer is the Kenwood GX806EF2 which has the standard 14 pin Subaru plug and an additional 8 pin plug with four of the pins used. I have managed to determine from searching here that pins 4 & 8 of this plug are connected to the sub and pins 3 & 7 to the steering wheel (even though I have no controls on the wheel).

The replacement unit is a Kenwood KDC-W5031 which in addition to the standard output has two front and two rear RCA plugs and a 13 pin DIN plug on the rear.
Can I just connect the sub leads to the spare rear RCA plugs on the back of the head unit or is it a little more complicated than that? Thanks.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,586 Posts
If this subwoofer is the one located in the cargo (boot) area. That's nothing more than a speaker that was powered by a separate amplifier in the stock head unit. To get this speaker... subwoofer to work, you need to install a single channel amplifier & connect it to the output of your new head unit. :frown:

I opted to upgrade to a powered Kenwood subwoofer placed under the passenger seat. You can view my installation write up here :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bobby.
I didn't think it would be straight forward.

If this is the case does anyone know what spec amp I would need to get it working?
So far this has not cost me anything and as we have just had Christmas I'm not feeling too rich. The basic is all I require to make it work.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,586 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
I am integrating the factory "subwoofer" into my aftermarket as well. Here's the small amp I'm using for it, the Lepai LP-2020A+

Of all the small cheap amplifiers this gets the best reviews. There's also a small online community that likes to mod these to perform even better. You can find the amp on amazon or ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
I am integrating the factory "subwoofer" into my aftermarket as well. Here's the small amp I'm using for it, the Lepai LP-2020A+

Amazon.com: LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply: Electronics

Of all the small cheap amplifiers this gets the best reviews. There's also a small online community that likes to mod these to perform even better. You can find the amp on amazon or ebay for cheap.
Here's a few links on modifying this amp if interested.
Modding the Lepai T2020A+
Lepai Tripath LP-2020A+ mini Amp dissected - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

I ended up replacing one of the capacitors in mine as that seemed to be the consensus "must-do" mod with the biggest improvement. I replaced the generic 2200 uF capacitor with a Panasonic 6800 uF 33mm high electrolytic capacitor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bobby, great read and very informative. It makes more sense now.

Nepbug, it looks like this will be the path I take, thanks for posting that. It's also good to know that others are doing the same.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
511 Posts
I have a little 100 watt at 1 ohm (per channel, 2 channel) Kicker amp that was used in previous installs. Its a sub only amp and is strictly line level input. If I remember correctly its also crossed-over at 150hz. I have a brand new one still in the packaging in the garage if you want to try it. Its the same one that SeaScooby was using for quite awhile in his installs.

Same as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KICKER-CUST...3694615?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item3cda7d7c17

I also have the wiring schematic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a little 100 watt at 1 ohm (per channel, 2 channel) Kicker amp that was used in previous installs. Its a sub only amp and is strictly line level input. If I remember correctly its also crossed-over at 150hz. I have a brand new one still in the packaging in the garage if you want to try it. Its the same one that SeaScooby was using for quite awhile in his installs.
Thanks for the offer but I think location may prevent me taking you up on that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts