Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I am a soon to be 2010 Forester owner.

Id like to get a hitch mounted bike/ski rack.

I understand I need to first get a hitch installed, and people have recommended UHaul as a good, reasonably priced hitch (and good for me because Id like to have someone do the install).

Heres where I got confused:
- Numerous people have suggested getting a 2" hitch
- UHaul told me their 2" hitch is round tube (vs. the 1.25" square hitch) and he told me his belief is that the bike/ski carriers require a square hitch

Does anyone know what the situation is with this?

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Hi all.

I am a soon to be 2010 Forester owner.

Id like to get a hitch mounted bike/ski rack.

I understand I need to first get a hitch installed, and people have recommended UHaul as a good, reasonably priced hitch (and good for me because Id like to have someone do the install).

Heres where I got confused:
- Numerous people have suggested getting a 2" hitch
- UHaul told me their 2" hitch is round tube (vs. the 1.25" square hitch) and he told me his belief is that the bike/ski carriers require a square hitch

Does anyone know what the situation is with this?
I have the class III 2" with my bike rack on. It work perfectly fine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the person that told you that was a little confused. I'd guess he read in some documentation that it's a "round tube" hitch, and thought it meant the "receiver hole" is round.
I think the U-Haul hitch is actually the same as the Curt. If that's right, it's called a "round tube" type hitch because the part that the receiver tube connects to is round. But the actual receiver hole is square.

Here's what it looks like:

This is in contrast to the Draw-tite/Reese/Hidden Hitch which is a "square tube":

It just has to do with how it's constructed, that's all.

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
I think the person that told you that was a little confused. I'd guess he read in some documentation that it's a "round tube" hitch, and thought it meant the "receiver hole" is round.
I think the U-Haul hitch is actually the same as the Curt. If that's right, it's called a "round tube" type hitch because the part that the receiver tube connects to is round. But the actual receiver hole is square.

This is in contrast to the Draw-tite/Reese/Hidden Hitch which is a "square tube":

I can tell you it's the Curt hitch, because when they ship the hitch in, there is a big logo of curt hitch on the box, but the hitch has a U-Haul decal on it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts

I agree with the above.
The receivers for both are 1.25" or 2" are square.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Premium
102 Posts
U-Haul inch

Get a 2" U-haul hitch - just got mine installed on 2010 Forester XT. Bought it on U-Haul online and installation was $ 30 and took less than 30 minutes. Then, buy electrical plug from e-trailer that plugs into existing hitch harness next to the spare tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts