Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester SG5 5MT
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day guys,

It looks like the chances are high that I will be offered a job in Kitchener, ON.

And I'm confused a lot now :(. I've got a good job (where I live now, Irkutsk, Russia) with the head office in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Quite like it although the compensation can be better from my point of view :). And all my life I was here in Irkutsk and nearest area (700km).

I was never been to Canada and know little about the city (Kitchener) and its neighbor area and I'm kinda afraid to make such a move. Just can't decide if it's worth it...

I've googled a bit about the area but still not so helpful to make a decision.

So if anybody can describe the city, neighbor area, life style, business, industry over there, ability to change an employer in future - I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers,
Alex

p.s. Forgot to mention, I'm a Senior .Net Software-Developer

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Well, I'll give it a try, as I live less than an hour's drive from Kitchener.
First the important stuff Gemini Motors is a great dealership good pricing and excellent service and that comes from a friend who has their Subaru's serviced there.
Kitchener is referred to as the region of Kitchener-Waterloo, it's neighboring town. The region has plenty to offer from arts & entertainment to sports and recreational opportunities. Plenty of health care facilities nearby and Canada has had a wonderful free health care plan for decades that would likely be supplemented by your employer should you come to live here. The surrounding areas are home to 3- 4 colleges and universities and the public and high school system in Ontario is very good.

If you like the outdoors there is plenty to do with public conservation areas in abundance, sorry no mountains but lots of rolling landscapes and more. You're never to far from any of the major cities, the provinces capitol Toronto is only about an hours drive and if you can't find something to like about Toronto you're one grumpy person.

Everyone will have an opinion about real estate and what's affordable but I think you would find your options for housing quite plentiful and there's always the option of living outside of the city in more rural surroundings, but again you're never to far from necessities or recreation. The last time I was in Kitchener there seemed to be more condo building construction going on in the downtown core obviously to attract and boost the downtown business district.

Commuting in the city is no problem with bus service regularly and the city is well laid out and any time I've been there traffic flows smoothly. You may also come across references to the Tri-Cities that often refer to Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph and Cambridge all areas that would be an easy commute to work along rural highways that are well maintained during the winter and all year round.

Hope this helps, It's hard to describe all the benefits surrounding us, that we have had for so many years we often take it for granted.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
357 Posts
Is this a short-term contract or a full time job?

I did not think I could say that one day, but the weather is going to be much milder in Canada than where you are right now!!

You mention you've always been in Irkutsk, so while changing countries is a major move, it think it can only be an enriching experience for you. Getting to know another culture is always good.

Kitchener is also close to the beautiful Niagara area where there are great vineyards, orchards, and produce during the summer.

Plus, you'll still be able to enjoy hockey, but you'll have to cheer for Canada!:chair:

If things don't work out as you like, you can always go back home (i know there is a cost to all this, but from a personal perspective and from a professional perspective (international work experience) I think you'd be gaining in the process).

Sorry I can't be of more specific help, I don't live in Kitchener (I'm in the Ottawa area, ON).

Good luck with the whole process!!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
174 Posts
I hope I'm not stating the obvious but, if you can spring the $, find a super saver airfare flight and spend a day or 2 there to check it out. It's one thing to read about a place. It's an entirely different experience being there. I think it would go a long ways towards helping you make your decision.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring (CDN) CVT
121 Posts
It sounds like a fantastic opportunity! It is obvious in your posts that language would not be a barrier, which is usually the first worry when moving to a new country. Moving to a different job within Canada would really depend on your status here - I expect you would need to have a work visa to be employed here initially. I would recommend checking the Government of Canada website at Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada to get some info on working here either temporarily or permanently... Good luck, it's a great place, eh!

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Sounds interesting indeed.
I'm from the previously mentioned Niagara Region... which isn't too far from K-W.
Kitchener-Waterloo offers a wide variety of settings. If you're into the rural, farming type of setting then Waterloo is great for you since St. Jacobs isn't too far off and they've got a pretty great Canadian agricultural community out that way.
You're not that far from one of my favourite areas along the Grand River, and K-W is fairly centralized when it comes to location in Southern Ontario. You're smack-dab in the middle between two US-border crossings, some decent skiing to the north, and gorgeous lakes on all sides...

If you get the opportunity, definitely make a trip out there to see how you like the atmosphere before a decision is made for sure.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for your replies!

I really appreciate it!

Although my language is far from ideal or even good enough for any native English speaker to do not notice my accent or something, during 5sec. of conversation :), that's not an issue for me as I've been living and working in Birngiham, UK for more than a year (if to summarize all my business trips to the head office) and wasn't facing any difficulties as I'm still alive :biggrin:.

If I choose to go and accept the invitation when I'll be given one (still have to pass several interviews more) I'll be granted a working visa (work permit equivalent in UK I guess) which even grants a spouse to be eligible for working in Canada. Then, if I live and work there for two years (as they said) I'll be able to request the Permanent Residency visa, after some time more (a year or two, don't remember) even to apply for citizenship.

A short visit to the Kitchener is a best way to try it out, for sure! I'm just afraid the "super saver airfare flight" - is not the case for me. As there are no flights to Canada from Irkutsk, so it probably involves the 'Moscow visit' in this trip as well as 'tourist visa' getting in embassy, so after all, the short trip becomes a large event. That's why I posted here, to try to get at least some info from you guys who live over there or nearby.

Thanks again for your answers! It sounds really nice and makes it really hard for me to make a decision. The most difficult part is - to dare to leave my parents here in Irkutsk :(, as well as sister and my closest friends.

Will keep thinking!

Cheers,
Alex.

P.S. Oh, forgot to ask you guys...
I've never experienced here, on subaruforester.org any kind of disliking or something as there are people from all over the world. But what about the case if I move there for living? I'm sure the treatment and reaction of people to visitors who are just tourist is more than Ok, welcome and cheerful, but what if someone wants to settle there? Won't it be the case when the one always feels the dislike? When he tries to get a good job, buy a house, get his child into kindergarten, etc.?

I hope it's not! But if it is, I guess I'd better get to know every aspect of it while "on this side of the river" :).

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
P.S. Oh, forgot to ask you guys...
I've never experienced here, on subaruforester.org any kind of disliking or something as there are people from all over the world. But what about the case if I move there for living? I'm sure the treatment and reaction of people to visitors who are just tourist is more than Ok, welcome and cheerful, but what if someone wants to settle there? Won't it be the case when the one always feels the dislike? When he tries to get a good job, buy a house, get his child into kindergarten, etc.?

I hope it's not! But if it is, I guess I'd better get to know every aspect of it while "on this side of the river" :).
Well you're lucky that Canada is the most ethnically diverse country in the world. I'm sure they'll be more than accepting of you no matter where you are here. They'll be more than open to making you feel like you're part of things. There is a pretty good Subaru following in the K-W area as well, and that's a quick way to make new friends outside of the workplace.
Best of luck though Alex, hopefully we're making the decision process less stressful for you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well you're lucky that Canada is the most ethnically diverse country in the world. I'm sure they'll be more than accepting of you no matter where you are here. They'll be more than open to making you feel like you're part of things. There is a pretty good Subaru following in the K-W area as well, and that's a quick way to make new friends outside of the workplace.
Best of luck though Alex, hopefully we're making the decision process less stressful for you.
Glad to hear that!
And your help guys can't be underestimated by all means!

Looks like the only hard thing left to decide on - is to how leave my family here :(.

P.S. Will have one more phone interview on Tuesday. The company is - Venuiti. As far as I understand - they have their own software development as well as providing people to their partners to work for. Thus, if I decide to go, they will find a company for me to work for and just will keep some part of my rate I will be paid. I will have to work at least one year with Venuiti, according to the contract. Afterwards I'll be free to change an employer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Dooo eeeeet!! :biggrin: What's life but a big adventure? You might be kicking yourself later if you decide not to try it and realize that you may have missed out on a great opportunity! I came to California from Germany in 1993 with one suitcase and no idea where I was going to spend the first night, but things just fell into place after that. I haven't left since! (Well, I have, but only to go back for visits.)

Find out of your potential employer will be of assistance in finding housing etc. to help you get settled. Try it out for a while, and if you get terribly homesick or just plain don't like it, you can always go back...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dooo eeeeet!! :biggrin: What's life but a big adventure? You might be kicking yourself later if you decide not to try it and realize that you may have missed out on a great opportunity! I came to California from Germany in 1993 with one suitcase and no idea where I was going to spend the first night, but things just fell into place after that. I haven't left since! (Well, I have, but only to go back for visits.)

Find out of your potential employer will be of assistance in finding housing etc. to help you get settled. Try it out for a while, and if you get terribly homesick or just plain don't like it, you can always go back...
Yes, I'm thinking the same at the moment. But need to go through the more interviews first. And then, if I pass it, the difficult part of making a decision will come...

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,886 Posts
Privet!

Agreed, do it!

Just a couple of observations.
You said that you're in the IT business. The University of Waterloo has a longstanding (over 40 years) reputation as one of North America's most outstanding institutions in the IT field. This translates into lots of good spinoff businesses in the area, and plenty of good employment opportunities. RIM (the Blackberry people) is just one example.

As noted above, Canada is very welcoming to immigrants from absolutely everywhere.​

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Privet!

Agreed, do it!

Just a couple of observations.
You said that you're in the IT business. The University of Waterloo has a longstanding (over 40 years) reputation as one of North America's most outstanding institutions in the IT field. This translates into lots of good spinoff businesses in the area, and plenty of good employment opportunities. RIM (the Blackberry people) is just one example.

As noted above, Canada is very welcoming to immigrants from absolutely everywhere.​
Thanks! Didn't know that. Sounds good.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Conv CVT
20 Posts
If you get this job I will have a chance to apply for a citizenship.
Once you settled here you can move to a different place - it's up to you.
PM me for more details (I speak Russian - will be easier for you).

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only real drawback here is your stuck in Leafs land, potentially the worst team (not just cause of their record) in the NHL. Assuming your a Russian hockey fan...

Really though, this sounds like a great opportunity and I hope it works out for you. Hard to leave the friends and family behind, but like others have said it's an adventure!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT. (6MT, in my Heart) :-)
197 Posts
I've lived in Toronto for most of my life, but we moved out to the country a few years ago, and love it. The traffic and congestion in Toronto has become unbearable, so we're glad to be away from there.

Whenever we need a "taste of the city" we visit the Kitchener-Waterloo area, and spend the day shopping. Traffic is very reasonable, there is much to do, the city is clean and it's a nice place to live. There are many options available living either in the city, in the suburbs or in a close neighbouring town or in the country. Either choice would be a short drive into Kitchener. You would not be more than a few hours drive from some very nice places to visit, as well as other cities within an hour. Plenty to keep you occupied.

There are many different cultures/people here in Canada, but mainly a great divercity in the cities. Very little if any prejudism is found, and you can rest assured that you won't feel out of place because of the cultural divercity. I'm sure you'll also be able to find various organizations or clubs related to your country/culture.

Wishing you all the best!

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,503 Posts
Just do it. Take every opportunity that you can get like this. There will be times that you will feel homesick but the plusses of meeting new people/going to new places/having new experiences will live with you for a lifetime. And life is too short to have regrets about "What if I....?" Most places you go people are friendly, helpful and appreciative and it will make you realize how similar the human race is for all the apparent differences and preconceptions we seem to have. And you shouldn't find the climate too different and if you do check out if your company has a placement in Australia - like Canada we are the most incredible mix of nationalities and cultures - and it's warmmmmmmmm here, even in winter.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,420 Posts
Kitchener/Waterloo area is very German influenced. Lots of Europeans in that area. They even have the biggest Oktoberfest.

I work at Bombardier Aerospace and a lot of the Engineers are from Europe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts