Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1999 Subaru Forester which has had new tires on the front before I got it. I have the receipt which shows P205/70/R15, but here's my confusion ... I thought this vehicle was an 'S' model, but the 'S' has a different tire size of 215/60/R16.
How would I know the model? I have searched the VIN which didn't help, any where else I could look? it has the heated mirrors etc. but in canada that could have been an option?
Now I don't know what to do ...
Just had a full inspection done of the vehicle, and was advised that the tires don't match (manufacturers) ... how critical is this with the AWD?
Spent last hour trying to make sense of this, so i look forward to some advice ...
Thanks,
Bart

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Bart,

This site might help: Subaru Forester Archives: options and prices, Seattle

You can also check the tires and rear brakes on your car. The "S" was fitted with 16" wheels and tires, and also with rear disc brakes. The "base" and "L" models were fitted with 15" wheels and tires, and with rear drum brakes.

Heated mirrors were standard on the "S" and an option on the "L".

In general, the four tires should all match by brand, model, size, and age (wear). Assuming they're all the same size but different brands, you could measure each tire's circumference to see how closely they match.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
1999 forester S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have discs brakes all round, plus all the heated bits, so I suppose it must be an 'S'.
The wheels are 15's though!
There is significant wear difference between the front and rear tires, plus they are winter tires, so I'm going to have to spring for new ones I think.
Any suggestions on any quiet, inexpensive ones?
Thanks again,
Bart

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,022 Posts
All four tires need to match no more than 1/4" circumference difference.

·
Registered
1999 forester S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It gets worse, I just went outside and physically measured the wheel .... 16 inch diameter.
How (and why) do you get 15 inch tires on 16 inch wheels? (rhetorical)
I am going to shop for 215/60R16 tires ... agreed? or am i still missing something here?

cheers,
bart

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
The wheels are 15's though!
Perhaps the previous owner "down-sized"? Or, maybe Canadian spec models were appointed differently than in the U.S.? No matter... the 205/70R15 and 215/60R16 tires are about the same size.

What size spare tire do you have?

Any suggestions on any quiet, inexpensive ones?
Now you've gone and done it! :icon_wink: This question will likely result in n different answers from n respondents. :icon_razz:

For inexpensive, quiet, three-season tires in your required size, I'd probably consider the Yokohama Avid Touring-S. This assumes you'll need to fit dedicated winter tires per local requirements. The 215/70R15 95S (UTQG 620 AB; 1499 lbs max load @ 51 psi) size is made in the U.S. and is available for ~US$65 + shipping. I don't know about Canadian pricing.

See: Yokohama Avid Touring-S
and: Standard Touring All Season Tires

HTH!
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
It gets worse, I just went outside and physically measured the wheel .... 16 inch diameter.
How (and why) do you get 15 inch tires on 16 inch wheels? (rhetorical)
I am going to shop for 215/60R16 tires ... agreed? or am i still missing something here?
really!??? :confused:

I don't think 15" tires can be mounted on 16" wheels... The wheel mounting diameter is a bit smaller than the overall diameter because the tire must fit inside the wheel's lip.

Forget the receipt for a moment... what is the actual size info on the tires' sidewalls?

The Yokohama Avid Touring-S is also available in size 215/60R16 94T 620 AB (1477 lbs max load @ 51 psi).

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Post a picture. It isn't possible to safely mount a 15" tire on a 16" wheel. If it was successfully done, it was a PITA for the installer, and a MAJOR safety concern for you. Get it sorted ASAP!

Most S-models had an S emblem on the hatch. My old one did.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Actual tire size on sidewall is P205/70/R15.
Bart,

OK. You almost certainly have nominal "15 inch" wheels. I just went and measured the maximum outside diameter of my winter tires' "16 inch" steel wheels: 17.25".

Back to post #6 above.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
1999 forester S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not used to this format, but have tried to add 3 photos.
1 shows the 'S' logo as pointed out.
1 shows rear tire with tape showing 16" rim
1 shows 'new' front tire.
I hope you can make out the sizes on the images.
bart

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Those are 15's.

Looks like yours has all the trimmings of the S, except for the stock wheels. Someone downgraded them to 15's, likely because tires are less expensive for them.

·
Registered
1999 forester S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those are 15's.

So the tape measure at 16 inch means the wheel is 15 inch ... sheeesh it's no wonder I'm confused ...
:chair:
bart

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Bart,

Thanks for the extra info. Yeah, those are 15" steel wheels.

This drawing may help explain the dimensional corn-fuzion. The nominal wheel diameter is measured where the tire beads seat on the wheel inside the flanges.

HTH!
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
1999 forester S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well! Who knew?
You did obviously. Thanks so much for the education, your help is really appreciated.
So today, I am going tire shopping ... for p205/70/R15 size tires.

Thanks again,
bart

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Bart,

Best of luck to you, and I hope you'll let us know about your car's new shoes. :icon_wink:

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts