Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a soon to be owner of a MY10 Forester, thanks to this forum I've learned that a failed timing belt is very very bad. My concern is premature failure I have 2 questions.

1. If the timing belt breaks under warranty is everything covered?

2. If the timing belt breaks after the warranty period ends but before the 105,000 change, will the dealer/Subaru or the whatever shop you go to cover the repairs. Let me clarify that by stating this is assuming that all scheduled maintenance per Subaru's guidelines were performed. In other words I want to know if I get the timing belt inspected at 90,000 miles and they give it the ok but it fails only 5000 later is the shop, whether it be the Subaru dealer or licensed garage responsible for fixing it where they would put a claim through their business insurance?

THanks

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
You will be fine. Don't get paranoid about things breaking, just enjoy the car and follow you maintenance schedule. :Banane08:

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
Hi I'm a soon to be owner of a MY10 Forester, thanks to this forum I've learned that a failed timing belt is very very bad. My concern is premature failure I have 2 questions.

1. If the timing belt breaks under warranty is everything covered?

2. If the timing belt breaks after the warranty period ends but before the 105,000 change, will the dealer/Subaru or the whatever shop you go to cover the repairs. Let me clarify that by stating this is assuming that all scheduled maintenance per Subaru's guidelines were performed. In other words I want to know if I get the timing belt inspected at 90,000 miles and they give it the ok but it fails only 5000 later is the shop, whether it be the Subaru dealer or licensed garage responsible for fixing it where they would put a claim through their business insurance?

THanks

I too, would not worry about the belt breaking.. I have had a couple Subaru foresters with over 100,000 thousand miles and no issues.. Most that have problems are those that go well past the 105,000 miles and do not change the belt.. Or they leave the old idlers and tensioner in the car..

But you also need to open the hood while the engine is running from time to time and be sure you do not hear some thing like a bearing going out.. That does not apply just to Subaru but all cars.. Some times bearings fail.. It will be a screech or grinding sound.. And it can be things other than the timing belt idlers ect.. As there are lots of other things up front ran by belts..

I just changed the timing belt on our 01 Forester with just over 100,000 miles because we could hear some thing was amiss up front on the engine.. So I had to pull the other belts to check any way so just pulled every thing.. Turned out one of the bearings on one of the idlers on the timing belt was going bad.. So just changed every thing a bit early.. However the belt was in very good shape so we could hear it long before it was a real problem. :icon_biggrin:

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts

:biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 forester xt 5speed
837 Posts
my 06 xt just shreded the t-belt (71k miles) just paid it off 2 months ago so yea it does happen

(sucks when my rx7's motors last longer than my sube')

·
Registered
347 Posts
my 06 xt just shreded the t-belt (71k miles) just paid it off 2 months ago so yea it does happen

(sucks when my rx7's motors last longer than my sube')
Wow.. That is shreded.. I kind of wonder if it had been inspected at 30 and 60 thousand mile like Subaru says.. Inspection is easy just remove the a few screws on the cover (the ones removed so we can see the belt in the pic) and check the belt out.. It all takes about 5 min..

It would be intresting to see what went wrong.. I lean to bad ldler bearings.. Keep us informed...

Snowdance

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,129 Posts
If it breaks after 60K/5 years you are on your own. Subaru may give you a % of the repair but that's at Subaru's option.

As far as it being inspected and breaks before the 105K miles. Unless the dealer warrants it in writing again you are on your own.

·
Registered
2006 forester xt 5speed
837 Posts
i checked the belt at 35k when i did some work looked fine getting towed down tomm. to the shop

car spent 35k in socal and the rest up here (some snow/lots of rain 2000 ft)

see the idler poping out in this pic

·
Registered
347 Posts
i checked the belt at 35k when i did some work looked fine getting towed down tomm. to the shop

car spent 35k in socal and the rest up here (some snow/lots of rain 2000 ft)

see the idler poping out in this pic

Yes, I can see the idler sticking thru the plastic shield.. You can also see where the pully was rubbing on the front pully ... Sad you did not check it at the normal 60 K too.. might have seen it then..

I have family in Nevada City so get down that way from time to time.. Don't think the snow and rain will hurt them as we run lots of that here and in Oregon.. And 2000 ft is low lands for us..

Snowdance

·
Registered
2006 forester xt 5speed
837 Posts
^^ nice land cruiser (toy 4x4 and rx7's are my other hobbies)

we got up the mtn 2000-7000ft a lot but i dont think that would do it..time for upgrades i guess

·
Registered
347 Posts
^^ nice land cruiser (toy 4x4 and rx7's are my other hobbies)

we got up the mtn 2000-7000ft a lot but i dont think that would do it..time for upgrades i guess
Thanks.. I like cars, bikes and boats.. But really enjoy working on them more than just owning them..

We get up well over 8,000 a lot so how high up really has nothing to do with it.. Odds are it was just a bad bearing.. In the last couple months I have seen a Honda CRV, Toyota RAV and a Ford with bad timing belts and fewer miles than yours.. Murphys law says "if it can go wrong it will".. So it really is up to the owners to check things often.. Look and try to hear any thing wrong.. Some times it just gets us.. Let us know how it goes and what they find as far as damage..

Snowdance

·
Registered
2006 forester xt 5speed
837 Posts
murphys law says that once you pay off a car it will break...lolololol

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Alright, just go my 07 back fro the shop to redo my t-belt since I did not do it right, I was off by not 1, not 2, but 3 teeth on the driverside cam. I used the wrong mark on the cam sprocket to set time. That explains the bad mis on #4 and the slight mis on #2. Oh well. Nothing is funner than having to pay to do a t-belt twice :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts