Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to run a concealed power lead from the 12V socket in the centre console to the dashboard then up the windscreen pillar and across to the rear view mirror?

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,632 Posts
What do you want to do with the 12 volts when they get there? Chances are that there is already electricity available in the vicinity, without having to dig as deep as the center console.

Is this really a UK unique question? You might get more attention if you had chosen to post out in the open, where most everybody else lives.

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
Is this really a UK unique question? You might get more attention if you had chosen to post out in the open, where most everybody else lives.
Europe unique, surely? :icon_wink:

Also, 2/3 of replies so far are from US members, so quite good attention from the wider forum I would say. :N_poke::icon_razz:

·
Administrator
19,632 Posts
Yes, there are some who venture outside of self-imposed boundaries.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,945 Posts
How easy is it to run a concealed power lead from the 12V socket in the centre console to the dashboard then up the windscreen pillar and across to the rear view mirror?
As others have said - you already have a direct live battery supply in that location..........

Wire colour is Blue/red (LR) - from Main board fuse No:2

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As others have said - you already have a direct live battery supply in that location..........

Wire colour is Blue/red (LR) - from Main board fuse No:2
Thanks Don (and good morning America). It hadn't occurred to me that I could do it that way.

I'm thinking about installing one of these:

The All New CC3 - Crash Catcher®

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do they do a stop motion version for N/As? :N_poke:
Shut up. Now. :icon_wink:

I've just realised why I asked the question in the first place. The device has a charger that plugs into a lighter socket ...:icon_sad:

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,945 Posts
Shut up. Now. :icon_wink:

I've just realised why I asked the question in the first place. The device has a charger that plugs into a lighter socket ...:icon_sad:
If it has a charger that fits a lighter socket, you have two ways to install.

If the charger output is 12-24V then you can wire direct using the spotlight wiring and maybe add an inline fuse.

If the charger output reduces the input to the unit to say 5V, you could wire a lighter socket into the spotlight wiring, arranged so that it is inside one of the the spectacle holders between the spotlights and plug the charger in there......

·
Administrator
19,632 Posts
If it's a standard USB charger, you could buy a cheap replacement charger, open it up, and hard wire it somewhere in the vicinity up there.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
:biggrin:

I'm being deliberately obtuse.

nepbug can attest to the willingness of some of the European guys for assisting outside of the traditional "boundaries".
Very true, the members in this forum are fantastic.

Do they do a stop motion version for N/As? :N_poke:
Ok, this made me laugh pretty good.

If it has a charger that fits a lighter socket, you have two ways to install.

If the charger output is 12-24V then you can wire direct using the spotlight wiring and maybe add an inline fuse.

If the charger output reduces the input to the unit to say 5V, you could wire a lighter socket into the spotlight wiring, arranged so that it is inside one of the the spectacle holders between the spotlights and plug the charger in there......
If it's a standard USB charger, you could buy a cheap replacement charger, open it up, and hard wire it somewhere in the vicinity up there.
Or yet another option, build a little circuit to reduce the voltage to 5V using a LM317T voltage regulator. I did this when I integrated my garage door opener as a push button in my map lights on my Impreza. That one was for 1.5V, but you could easily change it to become 5V, all the info is there in my post.
DirtyImpreza Forums - View Single Post - The sÜBERu, an 02 OBS Build Journal

It all depends on how "clean" you want the install to be, how comfortable you are soldering, and how cheap you are. I'm clean, comfortable and cheap (that sounds so, so wrong) so I went LM317T.

·
Registered
2007 XTEn Manual
117 Posts
I'd be a bit worried about that. I've just finished fitting a phone cradle in the storage compartment on top of the dash so that I can have the phone there when I use it as a sat nav. I left the USB adaptor such that I have to plug it in to the cigarette lighter socket when I use it mainly because the adaptor runs quite hot. I didn't like the idea of it being hidden away. Maybe other adaptors run cooler.

·
Premium Member
06 2.5 XT MT
242 Posts
I did this just the other day. Used the usb connector on this Sliced the end off and wired it into this and a ring terminal on a point just above fuse box and then ran one of these behind the door seal and up the pillar and across the headlining.

Its really easy. The pillar is the trickiest bit. Push a flat screwdriver in VERY slightly and then separate a smidge where you can see the white clips and the sheet metal - it falls underneath and lets you put the door seal back in place. I can get you a few pics of what I mean if you get stuck but its nothing to get excited over!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Be careful - as I have the same setup with a dash camera. The problem is getting the wiring under the roof console if you have a sunroof fitted - otherwise the last 2-3 inches of cable have to run visibly behind the mirror.

Also take note of the diagrams on OpposedForces.com as to which side the radio antenna wiring runs. On my old Legacy I accidentally ran the power cable up the same A pillar as the radio wiring and got tons of interference as a result!

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for the good advice. I'm quite happy soldering as I have many years' experience designing and building miniature SMD circuits, but sometimes I'd just rather buy stuff off the shelf.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTen Manual
43 Posts
Running the wiring is dead easy, just be careful popping the A-pillar trim off as mine already had a couple of lugs snapped off.

A bit of stiff wire is all you'll need to route cable from the centre console to the A-pillar and from the A-pillar to the sunroof.

I just fitted a mic for a bluetooth kit and cable routing was much easier than in previous cars..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts