Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking really hard at my next (desired) project which is Forester XT.
I really want to make it an ultimate handling/semi-power monster.
Ideally, I would do a complete STi driveline swap, 6mt, Brembos etc.
My questions are pretty simple,

Assuming a 2004-2005 FXT

(1) is there a swap list somewhere hidden in the bowels of sf.org which lays out all the required components and which years (STi driveline) are compatible?
(2) what is the absolute best daily driven suspension set up that accommodates the STi knuckles and hubs?

I know that a lot of people are using WRX wagon struts, but that wont fly with STi knuckles.

I am looking to start putting together a spreadsheet so I can track potential costs and get a budget lined out.

I would also like to know what people are using for high horsepower intercoolers.
I come from the STi/WRX side and I know what is required for say 450-500 HP but I have no idea what you guys can fit under the hood as far as top mounts go, nor do I know what front mounts work with Foresters.

If you guys would kindly point me in the right direction, I will be joining you shortly, and hope to make you proud. :biggrin:

Basically, I want to build an STi fozzie.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
everything you seek can be found by searching. i know this because i was interested in the same information and found it myself by that method!

you will only need to change the struts out if you are using 05+ sti knuckles/hubs, or you can machine the knuckles to accommodate the 04 sti/wrx size mounts. as to what suspension setup is the "best" is going to get you some very mixed responses, everybody will have different opinions there. if you are looking for daily driven though i, personally, would advise against coilovers.

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
everything you seek can be found by searching. i know this because i was interested in the same information and found it myself by that method!

you will only need to change the struts out if you are using 05+ sti knuckles/hubs, or you can machine the knuckles to accommodate the 04 sti/wrx size mounts. as to what suspension setup is the "best" is going to get you some very mixed responses, everybody will have different opinions there. if you are looking for daily driven though i, personally, would advise against coilovers.
While I appreciate your reply, thank you, this "canned response" is the most juvenile statement I see in the forums......it is not unique here, you are not unique for saying it, yet it never ceases to amaze me that it still gets posted as often as it does.

I am going to rant for a minute because it befuddles me to no end that someone would take the time to write that out, yet not take the time to post a relevant link which may actually answer the OP question.

This forum is not very organized, the search yields few relevant links and unless you are familiar with the platform (SF) then you can spend more time running around in circles searching, ultimately frustrated, and usually asking the same question in different threads looking for the answers.

You, if you were truly interested in helping, would have much better served the forum, the SF community and your character had you simply pointed me to a link or a thread which may have contained some frame of reference for me. Alas, that did not happen, and here we are...frustrated with each other, thus perpetuating the madness which is so rampant in these types of forums.

As an example, you indicated in your reply to me that you sought the same information correct? I presume you ultimately found that information? If the answer to that question is "yes", I almost certainly guarantee you that you would have felt really good about yourself had you simply taken the time to post up a few relevant links, thus helping me out immensely, and turning me into a grateful fellow enthusiast in the process who would gladly pay that same favor forward when the opportunity presented itself.

So, while I am grateful for the information that you did provide regarding the knuckles etc, you still seem a bit douchey for stooping to the "search noob" mentality that you chose.....

An example of my ability to search yields this thread:
another 5x114.3 sti hub conversion question - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

In that thread you admit YOUR search turned up nothing, yet you come in here and tell me to search....<fail>.

Yes we can all get along, but it requires a little bit of effort.
I have countless thousands of posts in other forums that interest me.
Not one time in over a decade have I told someone to "search, the info is here, I found it so can you".
Instead, I choose to remain silent if I am not in a position help by providing a link relevant to the OP's question. I know it takes effort, and sometimes I do not have the time to help right then and there, but I never waste my time, forum space and out myself as a 'know it all" by telling someone they can search......that is so painfully obvious, it makes no sense to waste the effort. <\rant>

·
Registered
707 Posts
congratulations on finding one of my only threads i've started here! if you can click "find all threads started by..." them i'm sure you can find the information you seek. it proves you are half way there to searching!

btw, that thread was not in response to your "standard" sti 6 speed drivetrain swap. it was solely for the intent of converting to 5x114 ONLY. everything in my post was correct from searching, save for the axle/driveshaft question, which is why i made that thread. why? because i already found all the other info from searching, wow.

however your generic OP's questions could have been answered by searching, it's the simple fact. you are wasting your own time finding answers, especially with such a long winded response.

what were you specifically looking for then? laziness? posting a thread and hoping to return with a bunch of linked threads from this site that another member found for you? typical. heck you can find MANY threads as the first responses to simple google searches!

there's no need for such a rant. quit being reactive and start being proactive for yourself. it is ultimately your responsibility for the information you seek.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Laziness will get you no where and an attitude won't get you much help here. The new google search option is much better than the old one. You could have read through several threads in the amount of time it took to post your response. Every one here doesn't mind helping you, however we aren't your servants to do all of the work for you. It would be different if you weren't the 200+ person to ask or post this exact same thread. To sum it up, get a donor car, any TMIC will fit, you will have to trim a LOT off your bumper as well as make some extensions for the FMIC, and STI struts with OE springs or pinks/prodrive springs. Anything you find about a WRX 6-speed swap will apply.

·
Registered
707 Posts
hey no attitude here until prompted into one ;)

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Laziness will get you no where and an attitude won't get you much help here. The new google search option is much better than the old one. You could have read through several threads in the amount of time it took to post your response. Every one here doesn't mind helping you, however we aren't your servants to do all of the work for you. It would be different if you weren't the 200+ person to ask or post this exact same thread. To sum it up, get a donor car, any TMIC will fit, you will have to trim a LOT off your bumper as well as make some extensions for the FMIC, and STI struts with OE springs or pinks/prodrive springs. Anything you find about a WRX 6-speed swap will apply.
Dude, you have 43 posts here, you are far from qualified to be the forum police.
I asked for some guidance, not to be spoon fed, get over yourself.

For your info, I have a completely swapped 06 WRX (05 STi donor), I did it all myself, I also have many many hours of modding under my belt when it comes to the Subaru platform....far from noob.

You are the type of guy who's finger hovers on the "search noob" button.
I know you well.
I suggest you re read my original post..there are clues contained within but here let me be specific and help you out:

(1) is there a swap list somewhere hidden in the bowels of sf.org which lays out all the required components and which years (STi driveline) are compatible?
That was a question, plain and simple. A reasonable, non (self) aggrandizing member/user would have answered the question "yes, here ya go" or "no, no such master list exists, sorry"

You chose to wear the "rent a cop" hat...I get it.

It's just lol that for a guy with 43 posts (you), who actually asked the same question I did when you came aboard, yet you received the help I am asking for, to reply with "search, I found it so can you"..... See where I am going with this?

Power trippy bro.......it's a shame.....and comical at the same time. :icon_question:

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Dude, you have 43 posts here, you are far from qualified to be the forum police.
I'm sorry you were mistaken but I have a few more than 43 posts, just look to the left.
For your info, I have a completely swapped 06 WRX (05 STi donor), I did it all myself, I also have many many hours of modding under my belt when it comes to the Subaru platform
Awesome, it will be exactly the same as your WRX swap. The forester is basically a WRX in every way. I didn't mean to question your infinite knowledge about the subaru platform. Good luck with your swap, way to make a first impression.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
Ladies. You are all equally pretty. Stop arguing.

/thread

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.