Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

My first post, I have a 2008 Forester n/a auto and i keep reading the forums to try and figure out what parts would fit on what.

I wanted to go manual and turbo and it seems best bet would be to get a salvage impreza sti and just transfer everything over, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

Any hit's in the right direction would be nice, btw manual/turbo not available in Dubai.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,779 Posts
Welcome. Your idea to me makes zero sense (no disrespect) You know of course that the N/A engine is different from the Turbo engine, right?? So you would have to get rid of yours.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
probably false economy

adc is right, not worth the hassle

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
So you can't get a manual or a turbo? If you could even get an automatic turbo and swap a manual into it, that would be easier than starting off with an N/A.

I think what you're describing is possible, but it would be incredibly challenging and expensive and I don't know how reliable the resulting vehicle would be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,

I know it seems stupid, but was worth asking.

What i was trying to say is I wanted to buy a salvage wrx sti, say rear damage or rolled a couple of times so its cheap. Then swap, engine, drivetrain, ecu,wiring loom, everything.

Or

Just buy the turbo engine, but I don't know what other things I would have to replace and stick to Auto gearbox. Although I don't really want to.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:

you could buy a wrecked WRX with a manual transmission and do the swap, assuming everything still functioned there.
But you'd likely be better off just trading your N/A for a Turbo model.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Are we talking about a 2008 new style or old style Forester?

Max.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car looks like Smooth FS, not the newest shape one before that.

Please don't say trade it in and get turbo manual, since the dealer only offers impreza wrx sti or different option outback, legacy, forester, trebica in automatic/ non turbo.

Im curious what would be the cheapest but best thing to do, swap from salvage or by bit by bit. I was looking on the parts for sale and it would seem more expensive to by parts than just swap a whole car. 1800$ for brembro rotors and calipers.

Thats why i wanted to know... which model of impreza is direct swap to my model forester.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Yes it is possible but a lot of work and £££, because unless you can do it yourself and you know what your doing, you will come across problems that will take time and £££ to solve

Nothing is impossible if you have £££

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
My car looks like Smooth FS, not the newest shape one before that.
I'm confused, is it the latest shape or the last of the 'boxy estate' style cars? (VIN starts with SG).

If its the latest shape (SH model) its most compatable with the latest hatchback Impreza, but you would need to integrate nearly all the Impreza's electrical systems to keep the CAN system working OK.

If its an SG then you need the last of the 4-door impreza (no hatch) and electrical integration is a lot simpler!

Simon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Boxy Estate" type, I'm most curious on where you face electrical issues and also... say I got a salvage wrx sti where would i face issues, I mean although the parts would be on one car they would be going back together on another. i.e engine to gearbox. Would i need to change the hubs or would the drive shafts match up?

Thanks for your help in advance, just got a quote for how much it would cost to trade in my car and get an sti.....i think its better just to modify mine. Plus I would be the only one with a forester turbo/manual/sti in the country.

Also another thing, would it be better to get an wrx and get the sti parts separately or ideal goal would be to get a wrx sti and that would be cheaper.

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts