Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 2.5 Forester ..and may need to replace the engine ..I am told by some of the local Subaru mechanics that the 99-04 are all the same engines .But as I call the local scrap yards to check availablity they tell me the 2000 was a specific year ..so the question is can I swap out a 2000 for a 1999 to 2004 motor and if I cant what is the difference .
Thanks again ..these forums have been the source of great help and information ...Great Job

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Yes you can, you may need to keep your intake, engine harness(have it swapped onto the replacement engine from your old one).

Scrap yards usually don't keep track of what years work with what years(IE: '04 in a '99), so they keep it simple and go with same year as a direct replacement.

As long as it is a single over head cam(SOHC) it will work, can be adapted to work.

I take it yours did bend a few valves when the be timing belt issue happened?

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
I got your PM. I have a friend that has a 2000 Forester. All SOHC engines are the same. The only thing that changes is the intake manifold in the later years.

I noticed in your other post that you mention about timing. On the center sprocket there is a timing mark. Line that up with the mark on the oil pump. Then check the other 2. Passenger side and drivers side. What could help a lot would be a video of the engine running with the sound.

·
Registered
2000 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure yet if the valves are bent ..just trying to be prepared if they are ..I orderd the Timing belt and lower left idler pully today so wont really know until I install them ..

Hey Huck ..the noise was the lower left Idler pulley self destructing ..this pulled several teeth of the belt ..and as I say above I am just waiting for the new parts to arrive to see if there was any valve damage ...from what people say and I have read to not have valve damage means I have a close relationship with the big guy above
Thanks guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts