Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little late, but if anybody wants to go play on Saturday (12/12), there's a few of us at frontrange4x4 going out to CORE by Deer Trail. For those that don't know what CORE is - it's a huge offroad park with various track configurations for just about anything with wheels and engines (motocross, atvs, rallycross, desert tracks, 4x4, etc, etc). I'm bringing my VW Baja (towed with my OBW), should be fun! For more info go to Front Range 4x4 Forums - C.O.R.E.

R

·
0 Posts
Normally, I'd be all over this like white on rice, but with the weather we're having (freezing, thawing, freezing, thawing), CORE is surely covered in several inches of brittle, yet durable re-frozen snow (AKA "ice"). I suspect that stuff is hungry for sidewalls and other car parts, but I wish you well and look forward to your report and future CORE invitations :)

Do watch out for snow-hidden debris, too--Last time I was at CORE, there were occasional stumps and tires laying about.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You DO know that you drive a Subaru, right? AWD standard... And there will be about a dozen 4x4s to pull you out should you get stuck :raspberry:

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Normally, I'd be all over this like white on rice, but with the weather we're having (freezing, thawing, freezing, thawing), CORE is surely covered in several inches of brittle, yet durable re-frozen snow (AKA "ice"). I suspect that stuff is hungry for sidewalls and other car parts, but I wish you well and look forward to your report and future CORE invitations :)

Do watch out for snow-hidden debris, too--Last time I was at CORE, there were occasional stumps and tires laying about.
You should come my friend! Warmed up enough today to melt a lot, tomorrow should hit 45! Regular heat wave I say! Plus, you won't have to deal with much shade out there. I hope you decide to join us.

Plus, if something happens, we'll throw your subie in the back of my 'burb. :biggrin:

R

·
0 Posts
You've missed a great day, all of you! C.O.R.E 12/12/09 - Front Range 4x4 Forums
Btw, Rocky, it wasn't all that bad out there. I was zipping around in my Bug no problems, with old bald tires and a ****ty transmission :cool:
I wasn't worried about getting stuck, I was worried about hard, frozen material damaging my car. I suspect a deep frozen-solid rut can grab a tire and de-bead it. Driving on frozen mud is kinda like driving on rocks, ditto for half a foot of snow that melts and re-freezes a few times. Ask my parents about the re-frozen "snow" bank I crashed their car into, and the resulting $900 of body work :icon_mad: I didn't want some big jagged chunk of ice at CORE to break any of my low-hanging plastic/rubber parts :icon_sad:

Do you know if there'll be another opportunity? Are there any equipment requirements? Helmets, roll cages, etc? The textual policy on the web site didn't seem to match what a staff person there told me.

PS: Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but be careful with those recovery straps--The yellow one in the videos didn't look like it's the stretchy type that should be used for quick repetitive yanking. The orange one looked like it was, though. It's easy to find stories of straps snapping & maiming people when misused :-/

·
Registered
03 Forester XS
124 Posts
Looks like you had a lot of fun there! A little late for me but I am driving with some new tiers as of today. Hopefully I can join everyone at the next one. I ended up following Smash's and SubaCool's feedback and went for the Geo's ATS as I did not want to go the winter tiers on&off route.

Since I do not have a skid plate, I am not sure how many runs (if any) are safe there to drive on. Looks like there are some based on the pics?

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Hey ACE! Still got my skids for sale if you're interested.

Rocky - I think you worry too much. And this is coming from someone who gets told they worry too much!

Normally CORE is closed in the winter. As we were able to get a bunch of rigs together they opened it for us. There are no equipment requirements, but you do have to sign a waiver.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ace, definitely get the plates if you plan on going off pavement! You already got the tires, get the plates too. It's just not worth the gamble. Even on pavement you never know. Do it before it's too late :icon_wink:
Rocky, I'm not even gonna comment. You've missed out on some good ol fun :raspberry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts