Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I have couple of snowboard buddies who live year round in Breck. There is quit a bit of "herbal" usage in the city, and the cops are pretty lax about it unless your being an idiot with it or someone complains. I think the new city law just relieves the cops of having to respond to complains about it and they can worry about more serious issues.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,767 Posts
Federal law trumps state law, so nobody can really declare it legal. (That includes the US Attorney General, who seems to have effectively tried to do just that.)

The thing that bothers me the most is the unwillingness at the top political levels to take a solid scientific approach to investigating the apparent medical qualities of the stuff, and then treating it just like anything else that claims medical properties. Till then, I just can't buy the claims that it ought to be the one substance in existence that is OK for treatment of various ailments but is not approved by the FDA.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
+1

That would fix California's budget deficit in no time flat if they just pulled their heads out of their you-know-what on that subject.
They already have 5,000 "dispensaries". The infastructure is in place to make it happen real quick.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
yes but as bbottemley stated unless they legalize it at the federal level it won't be legal anywhere. Now the issue with that is if the state says we won't enforce the laws against it then you won't get in trouble unless a federally employed officer busts you. I believe there was a case where a California man was on the state payroll to grow marijuana for medical purposes and actually got raided and arrested by the FEDS.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,767 Posts
And that's how the system is supposed to work. No administration can decide which laws to enforce and which to ignore. Eric Holder is violating his oath to the Constitution, as are all below who are following his guidance.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Honestly the whole thing has gotten to be a mess. Legalize possession of 1oz or under (MA and NY have a pretty good system currently, 100$ civil fine like a parking ticket for possession under ~1 ounce), and growing for personal use (I really don't want to see weed turn into the tobacco industry with highly processed products etc). Continue going after big time distribution groups etc. Weed itself is just such a nonissue, I don't get why it's even a debate anymore. It's not harmful(no more so than any other "feel good" type product like chocolate, fast food, alcohol etc) , not addictive, not a gateway drug or anything else that the reefer madness era propaganda is still trying to tell us.

I think the whole medical use debate is a joke however. If its going to be a medical product it should be studied, regulated, and products should be standardized. The way they're going about medical marijuana currently just seems like they're doing it completely wrong. However, this shouldn't even be an issue as it shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,542 Posts
As long as you have an oz, I doubt the feds are going to give you much of a look. It's when you are buying as selling it that they are going to be looking at. This just gives the end users a little bit of a break. You'd still be taking a chance though. I say legalize it and tax it. It does have its good purposes.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
It is only illegal because of fossil fuel industry anyways, it is a cure-all for many things (fuel, food, fun~lol, medicine, etc.). :N_poke:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Pot is illegal? :icon_eek:

I still don't know how I feel about the issue. I agree with taxing sales of it to increase revenue -- look at Humboldt county, take away the pot growing and that whole area will collapse in a week. But, I don't agree with pot not being harmful. Aside from the tar it produces, it's a hallucinogen and people react to it differently -- some won't be able to drive well and can kill a bunch of folk.

Stan

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,142 Posts
I personally think that it should be legalized and taxed, but it should not become a highly processed product like tobacco is now, it should remain in its natural form with not processing done what-so-ever. However it should be treated like alcohol, a.k.a if you are caught driving under the influence, it should be a very serious offense.

I also agree with Funkymonkey, its just a feel good thing like so many things that are already legal. And I think that Pleiad also raised a good point, it would be very beneficial to the economy.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Are people seriously advocating that we pay more taxes? Your $5 bag will turn into some federally-mandated $20 bag, with 1/3 the quality. Do the smokers here really want that? If you think that they won't put their hands into marijuana by mandating specific quality and health standards, and slapping on a tax that triples the price, then you haven't been paying attention to your government. And don't forget that the FDA just banned most flavored cigarettes, as if that will make any difference; if there's a way to meddle, some legislator will figure out a way to do it, in the name of The Children or somesuch other reason.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
Are people seriously advocating that we pay more taxes? Your $5 bag will turn into some federally-mandated $20 bag, with 1/3 the quality. Do the smokers here really want that? If you think that they won't put their hands into marijuana by mandating specific quality and health standards, and slapping on a tax that triples the price, then you haven't been paying attention to your government. And don't forget that the FDA just banned most flavored cigarettes, as if that will make any difference; if there's a way to meddle, some legislator will figure out a way to do it, in the name of The Children or somesuch other reason.
aahhh yes but unlike cigarettes you can grow your own. Though I bet they'd make that illegal because you can't guarantee the quality or freshness when you pick it straight from the plant itself now can you... :crazy:

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
some won't be able to drive well and can kill a bunch of folk.

Stan
as apposed to alcohol, prescription drugs, non prescription drugs, old age, young age, testing, talking on a cell phone, straight up ignorance or any other reason people get into serious accidents and kill people? Besides there would probably be a lot less people speeding on the road if they were all smoking, you could lower the speed limit to 40 and everyone would be fine with it.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
^^I don't see your point.

How would a cop test if someone smoked pot half an hour ago? Wave a cookie in front of them?

Stan

1 - 20 of 46 Posts