Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2019 Forester has been in the family for about 9 days. Yesterday, coming home from a trail run (gotta live that Forester lifestyle, eh?), I was driving on a 5 lane (two in each direction, plus left turn) road and had just passed through the stoplight intersection immediately before it goes down to three lanes.

I was in the left lane for my direction of travel, having anticipated the right lane ending before I crossed the intersection. There was another crossover in the right lane and I gave him about 3 car lengths so that he could change lanes as his ended. Speed was about 50 mph.

Instead of changing lanes, he hit his brakes and whipped a U-turn across all 5 lanes!

When his brake lights came on, I recognized it and started to accelerate to the 55 mph speed limit, thinking he was about to turn right into a business parking lot (as most cars who stay in that lane that long after the intersection do). Maybe half a second later, I reacted as soon as he started the turn to the left, but the Subaru Pre-collision braking applied the brakes before my foot was able to move to the brake pedal.

I missed hitting him by about 6 inches and what had to have been no more than a hundredth of a second. I'm quite sure that the minimal amount of braking from the Pre-collision system made all the difference in avoiding an accident and that I would have hit him without it.

All of the driver assistance features were actually reasons I was resistant to buying the Forester: I used to be a commercial pilot working for aircraft manufacturers, specializing in human-system interactions, and know how often automation leads to complacency and lack of situational awareness.

Subaru's automated systems just made me a believer...

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
453 Posts
Likewise, I just had an experience that made a believer of me. I was driving my wife's 2019 at about 70 mph in the left lane on the interstate. I was about to pass a piece of junk commercial truck, who was going much slower in the right lane. He had no other traffic in front of him for at least a mile. But, he decided to pull completely into my lane anyway. At most, he was 20 feet ahead and at least 20-30 mph slower.

I was alert and saw it coming, but the Forester collision avoidance reacted sooner than I did, and did it well. No harm done. But if I had been looking away for even a brief moment, there would have been a good ol' fashioned rear-ender had it not been for Eyesight and collision avoidance.

It's a good system. It works and no false alarms, at least so far.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
993 Posts
It works and no false alarms, at least so far.
I don't know if these are "false alarms" but I find that the auto braking reacts sooner than I would like it to. If I'm approaching an obstacle, I know when I want to brake, and often the system brakes early. When it happens I think "why are we already braking?" Same for going in reverse. If I'm backing into a parking stall, and there is a sign or tree or something behind me, I have to go really slowly or the brakes will automatically slam on, jolting everyone and everything in the car.

However, these are situations in which I am paying attention and aware of obstacles and situations. I figure if the system saves me just once, in a situation where I may have missed an obstacle, or one suddenly runs into the car's path, then it's worth it. One example might be if I'm backing up, I have to look at several things simultaneously. I need to look out the back window, I need to look at the front of the car (if I'm turning as I'm backing up), I need to see if there's oncoming traffic or pedestrians, etc. So if I'm switching from looking from one direction to another, and an obstacle runs into the car's path, I might miss it. And having a backup camera is good but it also gives you yet another view you have to check, increasing the number of things you have to switch between as you are backing up.

And I'm guilty of slamming the brakes on accidentally too. For many years I drove manual, all the cars in our family were manual. Then by coincidence we replaced the cars and they are automatic (mine is a CVT). For several months after getting this car, when I wanted to slow down to enter my driveway, I'd mash the brake pedal with my left foot, slamming the brakes on, because hey, that's when I'd normally press the clutch pedal. The kid in the back seat asks "what the #$^@ are you doing Dad?" I haven't done that in a while though, but occasionally my right hand wanders around for the shifter as I approach a red light.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Seriously it pisses me off that car manufacturers are making cars with all these so-called safety features that the insurance companies are demanding, due mostly to people not wanting to actually drive their cars, too many people are eating a bowl of cereal, texting, putting on makeup, on the laptop computer, reading a book etc.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
I think that's the wrong mindset to have. My personal opinion is that those people would be doing those things regardless of the technology present in the system. Now there's an additional safety net to possibly prevent those people from hitting a kid on the sidewalk, or rear end someone at a stoplight, etc. I think of these "features" as a supplement to the gaps in our attention, reaction speed, or skill.

As for insurance, I'm not quite sure if they're demanding more technology in cars that ends up tacking on more cost to them to replace.

Either way, the technology isn't going away and it's going to be on us to adapt.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
That’s BS people need to drive their cars not the other way around, first it was air bags because people are either too lazy or don’t want to wear a seatbelt for whatever reason usually a stupid reason, so the insurance companies forced the car companies to implement airbags!
We seem as a society we want protected from our own stupidity!
Let’s talk about lawnmowers that have so much safety stuff like a handle you have to hold against the handle so the lawnmower shuts down if you let go of the handle, why because we have people that don’t know any better than pick up the lawnmower while it’s running or unclog the lawnmower while it’s running!
Soon everything will have so many safety features that things will be totally useless!!
But whatever I guess that’s what everyone wants, treat everyone like children, can’t drive your car put safety features all over it or make it drive itself??!!!

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
137 Posts
Airbags are not a substitute for seat belts, they are designed to be used in addition to them; in fact, they might even be dangerous without belts being used. The reason they are mandatory is because they work. Safety institute studies, both private and public, have shown that they significantly reduce serious injury and death.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
93 Posts
Seriously it pisses me off that car manufacturers are making cars with all these so-called safety features that the insurance companies are demanding, due mostly to people not wanting to actually drive their cars, too many people are eating a bowl of cereal, texting, putting on makeup, on the laptop computer, reading a book etc.
RMFE...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
93 Posts
That’s BS people need to drive their cars not the other way around, first it was air bags because people are either too lazy or don’t want to wear a seatbelt for whatever reason usually a stupid reason, so the insurance companies forced the car companies to implement airbags!
We seem as a society we want protected from our own stupidity!
Let’s talk about lawnmowers that have so much safety stuff like a handle you have to hold against the handle so the lawnmower shuts down if you let go of the handle, why because we have people that don’t know any better than pick up the lawnmower while it’s running or unclog the lawnmower while it’s running!
Soon everything will have so many safety features that things will be totally useless!!
But whatever I guess that’s what everyone wants, treat everyone like children, can’t drive your car put safety features all over it or make it drive itself??!!!

“...in my day we didn’t have these fancy safety devices to protect us from crashes, we went flying through the windshield...that’s the way it was and we liked it!”

- Dana Carver as Cranky Old Man

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Yep cars didn’t even have seat belts in the back seats, covers for electrical outlets yeah right, child proof latches on cabinet doors to keep kids from getting into the drain cleaner AkA lye!
People need to drive their cars or take a bus or something I was waiting to leave the nursing home where my parents are & this young woman went by eyes glued to her phone texting really! !
I love technology but why do we have to have safety stuff pushed down our throats because people are doing everything but drive their cars, making the price of cars go up & up & the price of fixing the systems that stop your car for you, just wait until it’s off warranty & my eyesight system isn’t working!?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Certainly cars have been getting more expensive over the years, but so has everything. Something that cost $3,500 in 1970 would cost $23,100 today, just based on a general price inflation caclulator. That doesn't account for everything, as a "typical" car today is more like $28,000. But today's cars last twice as long as they did in 1970, and they also work better in every way - quieter, ride better, handle better, faster, more fuel efficient, and yes, safer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Our 2019 Forester has been in the family for about 9 days. Yesterday, coming home from a trail run (gotta live that Forester lifestyle, eh?), I was driving on a 5 lane (two in each direction, plus left turn) road and had just passed through the stoplight intersection immediately before it goes down to three lanes.

I was in the left lane for my direction of travel, having anticipated the right lane ending before I crossed the intersection. There was another crossover in the right lane and I gave him about 3 car lengths so that he could change lanes as his ended. Speed was about 50 mph.

Instead of changing lanes, he hit his brakes and whipped a U-turn across all 5 lanes!

When his brake lights came on, I recognized it and started to accelerate to the 55 mph speed limit, thinking he was about to turn right into a business parking lot (as most cars who stay in that lane that long after the intersection do). Maybe half a second later, I reacted as soon as he started the turn to the left, but the Subaru Pre-collision braking applied the brakes before my foot was able to move to the brake pedal.

I missed hitting him by about 6 inches and what had to have been no more than a hundredth of a second. I'm quite sure that the minimal amount of braking from the Pre-collision system made all the difference in avoiding an accident and that I would have hit him without it.

All of the driver assistance features were actually reasons I was resistant to buying the Forester: I used to be a commercial pilot working for aircraft manufacturers, specializing in human-system interactions, and know how often automation leads to complacency and lack of situational awareness.

Subaru's automated systems just made me a believer...
Very similar experience: My very first week with the 2019 Forester, I arrived at a fork in a local divided highway (3-lanes each way) with the speed about 60mph and a pickup truck right in front of me. 2-lanes continue straight and 2-lanes split off to join onto another highway. The center lane vehicles can either go straight or take the branch off to the right, I was in that center lane and taking the right branch. This fool in the pickup didn't seem to know where he was going at the fork, and he swerved 3x wildly back and forth just as he got into the split. He almost lost control of his truck more than once and wound up cutting across the dirt in the fork on his last pass. He was losing speed fast in addition to careening wildly, and though I was braking, it wasn't fast enough and the Forester activated automated emergency braking. It all happened so fast it's hard to know what would have happened for certain, but I think we'd likely have collided, either me running into him or his cargo box swiping my front end first (truck was fishtailing like something in a movie) and then me plowing into him, were it not for the Eyesight system kicking in. I am a believer too! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts