Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi hope someone can shed some light on this!!

Car has decided it keeps losing oil, but it only drops to a certain level on the dip stick then doesnt seem to drop any further its about 10mm above the low mark. i can top it up with 200ml but in a week it goes back to the same place and stays there!

now i only do about 12 miles each way every day, so the car is started and run from stone cold both ways, ive checked at start up theres no sign of blue smoke of any kind and when i get out at the end still no signs of smoke.

im just wondering if thick cold oil, and a new cosworth hp pump is causing me to blow oil out through the pcv?

even if i give it some welly theres no smoke coming out!!

breathers have some oil in, and a bit of condensation residue but i cant see anything untoward.

ive run the car with the oil cap off and theres no internal pressure build up, and no smoke or gases being ejected through the filler neck.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5MT
230 Posts
Hi hope someone can shed some light on this!!

Car has decided it keeps losing oil, but it only drops to a certain level on the dip stick then doesnt seem to drop any further its about 10mm above the low mark. i can top it up with 200ml but in a week it goes back to the same place and stays there!

now i only do about 12 miles each way every day, so the car is started and run from stone cold both ways, ive checked at start up theres no sign of blue smoke of any kind and when i get out at the end still no signs of smoke.

im just wondering if thick cold oil, and a new cosworth hp pump is causing me to blow oil out through the pcv?

even if i give it some welly theres no smoke coming out!!

breathers have some oil in, and a bit of condensation residue but i cant see anything untoward.

ive run the car with the oil cap off and theres no internal pressure build up, and no smoke or gases being ejected through the filler neck.

How much oil are you losing, how quick after the oil change?
Also, which oil do you use (weight), what's the weather been like and do you drive in the higher RPM / Boost range much?
Some oil weights + turbo cars eat oil like candy.
Also, oils tend to break down / evaporate towards the end of the mileage range, so if you are losing it more after 3K km's or so it might be normal...

Condensation is normal, it's the fatty esters in the oil burning off and condensing in the cold weather.
Is the car running rich? This is another factor as the excess fuel thins the oil out ever faster and can lead to higher consumption or worse "cylinder wash".

Try switching your next oil to high mileage types and/or full synthetic and see if anything changes. You can also do a "used oil analysis" to better understand what's going on with your engine.

P

1 - 2 of 2 Posts