Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi hope someone can shed some light on this!!

Car has decided it keeps losing oil, but it only drops to a certain level on the dip stick then doesnt seem to drop any further its about 10mm above the low mark. i can top it up with 200ml but in a week it goes back to the same place and stays there!

now i only do about 12 miles each way every day, so the car is started and run from stone cold both ways, ive checked at start up theres no sign of blue smoke of any kind and when i get out at the end still no signs of smoke.

im just wondering if thick cold oil, and a new cosworth hp pump is causing me to blow oil out through the pcv?

even if i give it some welly theres no smoke coming out!!

breathers have some oil in, and a bit of condensation residue but i cant see anything untoward.

ive run the car with the oil cap off and theres no internal pressure build up, and no smoke or gases being ejected through the filler neck.

·
Registered
00 I've had allsorts both
1,376 Posts
Well, i know you know your stuff when it comes to automotive matters, so without wishing to state the bleeding obvious, if it aint got a leak then it must be burning it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,575 Posts
if it was burning it though it would keep going down but Simon says it doesn't below a certain level.

That's a weird one.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Oil level high and then settles down to a point is no longer gets wasted/burnt, dropped etc?

My XT used to always have two levels on the dip stick. One side was always higher than the other??? I always went by the lowest side and topped it up but from memory mine was similar to yours as it never gobbled all the oil only a certain amount.

·
Registered
00 I've had allsorts both
1,376 Posts
OK, Long shot..
..Maybe when the oil is up to Max', it generates a little to much crankcase pressure (oil is blown out via pcv and burned slowly) When the oil level is reduced to 'X' level, the crankcase pressure is naturally reduced and consequently does not get expelled via the positive crankcase ventilation and stays at the lower level ?

Try a good quality (Forte) engine oil flush and top quality replacement oil/filter and see how she goes!?

Maybe fit an oil catch can (non vented) from the pcv and you will be able to monitor any oil expelled in this way?!

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Guys, thats whats baffling me Phil. i know what im doing but theres no smoke or anything so has me baffled. while im under il check for any leaks as well!

ive got an oil change to do this weekend, so im trying 5w40 shell instead of my usual 10w40 i always use genuine sub filters.

Just been reading that 1qt every 1000miles is ok, i had to look up a quart and its 1.1l. imho 1.1 litres of oil per 1000 miles is poor.

i think il have used approx 1l in 3500-4000 miles in top ups. which i think is ok in a 125k mile car running my tune!

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Not much help but ...

I have always used Shell Helix Ultra 5/40

I dont use any oil between changes

Always genuine filters

Oil catch tank?

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i run an aos. but im wondering if with the cold its just blowing through as ive read the gs oas only behaves on stock/ mildy tuned engines!

Thats the oil im going to try, was wondering if i should dump one of these engine treatments in to decoke it, but the bloody thing was stripped less than 4k ago! and it was spotless when rebuilt!

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I am not a believer in engine flush milk etc. I think they do more harm than good.

Afterall your engine is new.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Leave it be Si. I bet it's a pressure thing. Hopefully.

It's all been apart so will take a while to settle down fully and make good oil seals where required.

Just keep an eye on the oil. Mine uses oil but only a litre every 10k or so, more when hammering it to death!

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
stick to the 10w 5 is too thin(told this by scoobyclinic and steve)
Not for when its cold and you need oil circulating ASAP

The last number refers to the weight of oil at low temperatures

Oh no not the dreaded oil debate again .........

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Mach your engine is forged and it seems that a lot of tuners prefer to use thicker oil in forged (and not only) engines.

I also think a good fully synthetic 5w-40 is ideal for everyday use.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Oil can be too thin though and not cling to the metal surfaces properly.

I'm sure they put 10W 40 in mine but I'll check the invoice and confirm this.

I'm old fashioned so I let the motor idle for a good 30 secs before I touch the throttle. Always reverse in after a journey too so you don't faff about when you leave with a cold engine - this can use fuel and oil as the cold motor is up and down revs/load and oil can squeeze by surfaces that are not up to temp. The thinner the oil the more scoots past things.

My R1 used to use loads of oil but I was then informed that to get the power Yamaha made the motor with pretty loose tolerances to reduce friction. This meant oil disappearing with no obvious sign. It never missed a beat or went wrong though as I just kept an eye on the levels. I also tried putting the fully synth whizzo oil I used in the R1 in my XR600 and got oil leaks and smoke. Changed it back to the treacle like oil Honda recommended and all the oil problems went and the XR ran like a good un forever.

Horses for courses - oil can be too thick or to thin....

·
Registered
2006 Fsti 6mt
110 Posts
It's because it's forged!! A friend of mine has the same problem Every third tank of petrol he have to top it up. It wasnt That way before. (Legacy 2.0 gt)

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
It's because it's forged!! A friend of mine has the same problem Every third tank of petrol he have to top it up. It wasnt That way before. (Legacy 2.0 gt)
Simon's engine is not forged.
Still , I don't understand why they build forged engines with such huge tolerances.
I don't accept this excuse from builders..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts