Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X 4AT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up to find it much colder (-17F) than I expected this morning and it brought to mind two questions.

1) I didn't plug it in, but the car started fine. Which purpose is served greater (or are they equal) by the block heater... the car actually starting (obviously helps, but Suub starts fine until -22F) or engine wear at start up (engine is warmer, therefore less damage)?

2) The vehicles idle RPM is higher than if you put it in gear and don't use the gas. I sometimes get impatient waiting for it to warm up all the way, and put it in D but just cruise down my street without using the gas until the car is fully warmed up. My sense is that this is ok because it's running a lower RPM but I don't really know anything about engines so maybe it's actually worse (transmission is cold?). Anybody have some input?

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X 4AT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, but unnecessary. Drive like normally, but don't gun it. It would be more dangerous for you to drive on roads that slowly.
I wouldn't drive on any main streets that way, but in my neighbourhood I shouldn't be driving much faster than that anyway, or out of a big parking lot at the supermarket or something.

Thanks guys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.