Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X 4AT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up to find it much colder (-17F) than I expected this morning and it brought to mind two questions.

1) I didn't plug it in, but the car started fine. Which purpose is served greater (or are they equal) by the block heater... the car actually starting (obviously helps, but Suub starts fine until -22F) or engine wear at start up (engine is warmer, therefore less damage)?

2) The vehicles idle RPM is higher than if you put it in gear and don't use the gas. I sometimes get impatient waiting for it to warm up all the way, and put it in D but just cruise down my street without using the gas until the car is fully warmed up. My sense is that this is ok because it's running a lower RPM but I don't really know anything about engines so maybe it's actually worse (transmission is cold?). Anybody have some input?

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
893 Posts
Benefits of block heater:
1. Easier to start.
2. Reduces engine wear due to cold start conditions.
3. Engine coolant starts at a higher temperature, leading to faster heater output.
4. Increased mileage due to the engine warming up sooner.
5. Cost of running block heater for three hours before starting engine will be less than the fuel needed to warm the engine.
6. Reduced emissions due to faster engine warmup.

To name most of them.

The fastest way to warm a car up is to drive it (including the transmission). Just avoid going highway speeds right after starting, and don't floor it right away.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X 4AT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so my theory of driving slowly without the gas pedal while it is still warming is a-ok? thanks

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
186 Posts
Ok, so my theory of driving slowly without the gas pedal while it is still warming is a-ok? thanks
Ok, but unnecessary. Drive like normally, but don't gun it. It would be more dangerous for you to drive on roads that slowly.

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
Ok, but unnecessary. Drive like normally, but don't gun it. It would be more dangerous for you to drive on roads that slowly.
This. Certainly be gentle, but don't feel the need to be overly sensitive about it.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X 4AT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't drive on any main streets that way, but in my neighbourhood I shouldn't be driving much faster than that anyway, or out of a big parking lot at the supermarket or something.

Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts