Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fitted some coilovers on the rear of my MY00 S Turbo (I have the front's, not swapped them yet).
Not sure about them though. They weren't new, and I can still swap them back to the OE setup.

I've not had them setup properly, so it could be a factor, but I just don't like the harness of them. They are D2's, with 37 way adjustable damper settings, but even on soft, its harder than I would like.

As a daily driver, well weekend driver but non track, is there any need for coilover's over the OE setup?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Would only put coilovers on a track car personally.

·
Registered
2004 looking 6 MT
262 Posts
I've got tein coilovers on mine and find the ride compliant when tootling around but round when turning things up a notch on the twisty stuff stiff enough to stop excessive roll.I guess ride comfort is a subjective thing and one mans sofa is anothers granite hard seat! The spring rates will have just as much to do with how the car feels as the damping so maybe the springs are abit too stiff for your liking but they differ between different brands.

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
i keep mulling over coilovers but i find my sti struts perfect for a daily driver and when i have been in a fsti that had them it felt quite unsettled over some undulating tarmac where as mine was composed. i know its all down to setup but for fit and forget id go sti struts

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,588 Posts
Personally after having experienced coilovers I'd only go for a custom made job (springs and valving) like the ones I have now.

I'd also never buy coilovers without having been in a car that has them.

Suspension is something very subjective.

They are still jiggly like the OEM struts/springs over certain motorway surfaces but I guess that's a price to pay for the requirements.

I was initially planning on importing a set of yellow Bilsteins from Japan but the cost was more than the custom made jobbies and I would still need to add custom made springs (see harder and taller) on top.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. They were on forester I bought for spares, so never actually took a drive with them on.

Probably shouldn't have tried them really, its just one of my OE shocks started leaking, and was noticabley crapper. So thats why I only swapped the rears, to try them out. Part of why I got rid of my Impreza and got a Foz was the ride height, and because these are adjustable, I thought it would be OK.

Couldn't tell you the spring rate I'm afraid. I've got all the instructions for them, but they seem generic and say the spring rate would've been set up at the factory, although it is adjustable.

I'll probably get them off soon, and put them up for sale.

thanks again.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
I have Ground Control coilovers and they are extremely harsh... But I love them way more than my OE setup. They are seriously uncomfortable to most people but I find comfort in a car that handles fantastically, so they suit me just fine! :icon_wink:

On that note, if you really dislike how they feel, it won't get any better so you might as well swap back to your original setup. Or you could always throw on WRX or STI suspension. That will give you a firmer ride but won't sacrifice the ride comfort too much!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm looking into the WRX setup now, seems STI is too harsh. But obviously any WRX set up wont be keeping the standard ride height, which is what I also like too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts