Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm gathering parts for a suspension as soon as the snow melts. I know its a long time to wait but it gives me enough time to gather all the goodies. At first I was looking at a set off 07 WRX sedan struts and pair them with STi pink WRX springs from SubaruGenuineParts.

In Montreal we have quite a lot of snow during the winter so I'm afraid this setup will be too low. Might as well buy coilovers for 300$ more and have the possibily to rise the car for winter!

So might question is : what forester specific coilover are you guys suggesting and what spring rate should I get for a sporty daily driver. (we have really really bad roads in Quebec...) I'm willing to spend max 1000$ On a set.

What do you think about those : Slide Coilover Suspension Kit Forester SG '03-'07

Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilovers Subaru Forester 03 08 | eBay

Ouf course I'll be doing supporting mods like sway bars, links, etc...

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a budget of 2000$ to spend on suspension so with with 1400$ gone on coils its kind of tight... And I know Feals are not disapointing!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the maximum and minimum drop I can get with Feals? I need clearance for canadian snow haha. I'm looking into Stance coils right now. VincenzoL is running them and he seems pleased with them. They have less damping ajustability but have a great height ajustment and they fit my budget.

02-07 Subaru Forester - Stance Coilover Superstore

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 6MT DCCD (helical)
2,248 Posts
I don't know max and min drop of the Feals. Highest, figure 2-3" lower than stock Foz height and lowest... way lower than you'd want/should go.

Somewhere in the middle is where most coilovers should be set to retain decent suspension arm geometry. Coilovers are for performance and to allow corner-balancing/spring preload of a vehicle to optimize handling performance.
Only relatively recently has their primary focus been incorrectly seen as a way to "slam your ride".
Constantly raising and lowering them is a pain and could wear parts out a bit faster.
I wouldn't run coilovers through harsh winters.

For roughly the same time/effort of thoroughly cleaning body threads and adjusting coils up and down twice a year, you can bolt-in your stock suspension (maybe add some strut spacers for height fun), and swap in the coilovers in the nice weather months.
This also has the added benefit of reducing wear-and-tare on nice performance items...
Either way, whether you adjust height of coils or swap to stock for winter, you would require an alignment each time anyway.

Whatever you decide on, be sure to apply anti-seize to all assembly bolts. This will make your life and car muuuuuch happier.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah... It will be a pain in the *** to swap suspension and do an alignment twice a year. I think i'll stick with WRX struts, STi springs, Group N top hats and maybe put on some spacers if I don't have enough clearance. With a students budget, I think its the best I can do and I'll be sure to get some Feals in a couple of years! Thanks thought!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts