Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of replacing my newly acquired Teins with some Swift replacements (while they are being rebuilt), and local mechanic/suspension guru suggested going with a stiffer rear spring. From 6/5 to 7/8...explaining that this will benefit turn in, and help alleviate understeer...well reduce it by creating oversteer and getting out of corners faster.

I am not putting down gobs of power (305/365) but rear squat & body roll are definitely a problem. Traction in the rear is present as well, but only on heavy corners & apex turns...well slaloms too. :icon_mad:

Even though I can adjust dampening thru the EDFC, I don't want to compromise too much ride comfort, and thinking this might make sense in a race set-up..but a dd.

Thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
i think its a good idea and the swifts are much better springs. 7/8 might be on the stiffer side of things which of course like everything is a compromise. 6/7 might be an idea as well, but i think your auto-x will benefit from the stiffer setup.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info...I am on the fence as to even change them. And if I do...maybe only upping the rear from 5 to 7. I am trying to get more info on people running stiffer c/o springs in the rear.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Whats the rest of your suspension setup?

The main problem you're likely getting is the MPT center diff in the 4eat.

Stiffer rear springs may help, but they also will make it bumpier on road, and could make the rear "loose". Especially with the 4eat you may see some lift off oversteer as well.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Pretty common suspension enthusiast knowledge. Stiff rear rates improve rotation and improve transient response. It also helps to offset the extra wagon weight behind the rear wheels.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I liked the balance at 7K/7K and a 24F bar and an STI rear bar. I do remember seeing people in the back seat bouncing up in my rear view mirror occasionally though.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats the rest of your suspension setup?

The main problem you're likely getting is the MPT center diff in the 4eat.

Stiffer rear springs may help, but they also will make it bumpier on road, and could make the rear "loose". Especially with the 4eat you may see some lift off oversteer as well.
There is no way my rear could be any looser than it already is...
04 STI steering rack
KYB GR2 struts
Swift springs
Group N top hats (front)
Tein GT Wagon coilovers with EDFC (need to install)
Cusco front sway bar 23mm
Cobb rear sway bar 22-25-27
Cobb heavy duty rsb mounts
Kartboy f&r endlinks
Kartboy rear diff. outrigger bushings (comfort)
GT Spec 3pt. fender brace
STI Aluminum Lateral links (polished)
Mo-Boost llws spacers for KB endlinks
STI lower arm bar
E-bay double tube front strut bar (powdercoated black)
E-bay hbrace with Whiteline ALK spacers
Whiteline steering rack bushings
Whiteline sub-frame lock bolts

I liked the balance at 7K/7K and an STI rear bar. I do remember seeing people in the back seat bouncing up in my rear view mirror occasionally though.
Yikes!!! That doesn't sound to appealing for the young ones.

I am having second thoughts about putting any more money into these c/o's...especially after talking to tein today, and they mistakenly thought overhaul/rebuild meant everything!!! So they have already ordered parts from japan...:shake:

Needless to say, I could have almost bought new coilovers..price wise.
I am not happy to say the least, and will be having a word with them upon picking them up. Customer service has been poor so far.:icon_mad:

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
The young ones love it. It's the older people I worry about though I've never had a complaint. A lot of that comes from the damping setting as well.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
You already know what spring rates I run , they're very good on the track and wife/baby friendly on 8 hour drives. If your coils have damping/rebound adjustment you can always crank it up on the track then drop it back to something more comfy on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts