Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5MT
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: Was Boost leak (BOV had 1 screw cross-threaded, now fixed). Also, one Vac line was inverted behind Powersteering pump, now fixed.
AFR's going nuts are a thing of the past.

New Problem: I'm now hitting boost targets (17~18PSI) with great torque from 3300 - 4400 RPM, but when engine hits near redline my Moroso expansion reservoir cap pukes prestone all over the engine bay and gives a nice smoke show. Spoke to Rallysport direct, they are sending a new cap my way and I could do a "field fix" by bending the current cap tabs inwards towards cap a bit...

For those curious go to youtube and search "psteele9000" or "moroso cap"...

So I haven't had time to enjoy my vf43 swap, since it's been in I've been dealing with no power steering.

I though the STi rack would have helped, then paid another garage to change the pump, 2 times since the issue never got better until I was present at the shop and had them disconnect the ps reservoir return line which seems a knucklehead (helper, I'm not mad just frustrated) has plugged during the vf43 swap then reassembled the hose to the ps reservoir tank without removing it.

So I paid near $600 to find that out and the cars been at the shop for near 2 weeks (back ordered pumps), so I drove their loaner Neon all the time...
we finally got it sorted and now power steering works!

I rush home to grab my AP, except the shop shoots the engine with degreaser then power washes it.

Now it stalls when I give it throttle under load and belches black smoke (running rich? As it never did this before).
When I start it it's fine, then pull away and idle drops and I can't get up to 5-10mph without it wanting to stall. AP doesn't immediately register any trouble codes, but after 5 minutes of keeping idle between 2-3k misfire 1-2-3-4 and pfffe pop up.
If after rough running I try to restart, it's rough idle.
If I let it sit 10 minutes, fine start up.

I reflashed my latest map after clearing codes, no change.
I also went over some of the inlet connections and vacuum
Lines, no leaks I can find.

I'm thinking its soaking wet coil packs that arc under load, so hit with wd40 and leaving overnight at shop.
Tomorrow will head back to closed shop, let idle for 30 minutes after more wd40 (it was dark so I will soak it good tomorrow) and hopefully drive away.

Any ideas? I needed the car now as I'm traveling all week...great.
FML. My wife is at wits end and I'm starting to hate this car...I was looking forward to this all day.

P

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5i 6spd
593 Posts
Sounds to me like a vac leak.
Unless they practically submerged your engine in water... I can't imagine the coil packs are the issue.
Maybe a vac line down by the PS pump came off when they were spraying your engine bay?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like a vac leak.
Unless they practically submerged your engine in water... I can't imagine the coil packs are the issue.
Maybe a vac line down by the PS pump came off when they were spraying your engine bay?
I'll recheck vac lines, with daylight...same fir inlet on maf side and turbo.

It idles fine at start then goes to hell under any load.

Tomorrow I'm sealing each coil pack in dielectric freeze and wd40, cleaning nag, and tightening everything that looks like an air hose.

FML.

P

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'll recheck vac lines, with daylight...same fir inlet on maf side and turbo.

It idles fine at start then goes to hell under any load.

Tomorrow I'm sealing each coil pack in dielectric freeze and wd40, cleaning nag, and tightening everything that looks like an air hose.

FML.

P
After two hours of fiddling around in a closed garage parking lot I checked all the electrical plugs cleaned with electrical cleaner and sprayed with WD-40. I checked all the vacuum lines I could find and put a new clamp on the turbo inlet.

I also cleaned the maf and that didn't change anything.

Problem is still there the car starts fine then after 15 seconds or so it starts to idle rough by going rich then lean rich than lean by my AFR gauge.
I can't even drive it as it will want to stall down and when it does it makes a lot of dark smoke but none when it's idling.

I've had vacuum leaks from leaving a hose off but never acted like this before... I'm suspecting it's electrical related but the misfire when I try to drive is on all four cylinders so it doesn't mean just one coil pack.

I don't have access to an air pump so I can't blow out the water near my cam position sensors or the coil packs. I'll tell the garage to do that first.
I might buy a can of compressed air and see if it helps, but could still be a vac leak..
Arg.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That is a tough one man. Check your grounds, make sure they are tight.
Thanks, checked that tonight.
I had ran 3 grounds already between body, tmic bracket and driver side block using 6 gauge wire but everything was ok.

So sprayed more wd40 on coil packs to disperse any water but it's been 24 hours and I ran the motor 3 times so it should be dry.

The problem is starts fine, then after 2 or 3 minutes once warm it takes a giant chit and bogs down, the afr's go way rich and rough idle, not drivable.

I checked front cam plug and it looks good.

I suspect it's a coil pack that's finicky and once engine warms starts to short, dumping unburned fuel out the exhaust and resulting in low afr's and sooty exhaust.

I did take off the AOS cap when running and no smoke, so I'm semi relieved the ring lands don't seem to be an issue. Also, cold starts fine.

Just if we move the car it chits the bed.

What's the kicker is I've had to spent time sneaking away for an hour or 2 (dd, so I need it) but I'm gone 3 days a week for work so this sucks balls.

I'm traveling Monday so now I need to book a cab for 2.5 hours twice to get to airports, on the heels of my turbo swap debacle weekend with tow trucks, and my power steering quagmire.

Man, I hope this works and doesn't cost an arm.

The only thing keeping me going is the thought of awd doughnuts.

P

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally, a conclusion...

So after a month without my car, driving crap loaner cars, the second garage had time to work on it and after 4 hours found the following;

After a smoke tester found my BOV was lose on account of stripped threads, they found that 2 hoses were unversed behind the power steering pump.

Instead of venting, the intake was pulling in fuel vapor from the fuel tank.

So unmetered air along with bad vac lines was the culprit.

I'm traveling but will pick up the car tomorrow night, can't wait!

Now I can test the STi brake booster and steering rack, before driving over to negotiate with garage #1 about the $450 bill including the towing...

P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts