Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here run both a Cobb & WBR catback exhaust setup ? I have the WBR which I'm happy with, someone local is selling a Forester specific Cobb setup for a decent price and I'm wondering if its worth swapping over. What's the going price on a used Cobb mid pipe & axel back.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I'd say $400 would be okay, anything less would be great. I've seen and heard the Cobb -- it's a nice exhaust, quieter than my MadDad Whisper.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I have the Forester-specific Cobb catback. It fits and sounds wonderful. If it's in good condition, I'd say it's worth around $350-400. I'm running Kartboy XL hangers, but I think the normal ones fit fine, too.

Here are some pics of my setup.

Some sound/video clips. Sorry the quality sucks for some reason - the actual AVI files look/sound a lot better than the youtube clips.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys ! Quick question, is this a 3 or 2.5 inch ?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I've heard Ian's car in person and it's sounds incredible. One of the best sounding exhausts I've heard on a Forester without being too loud.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
The Cobb is 3", except where the DP meets the mid-pipe, which is 2.5", since it allows you to utilize the OEM catback. I've thought about having the 2.5" flanges chopped off and adding a flex section and 3" flanges, but I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

Thanks Chris! I've thought about getting a louder exhaust, but the Cobb TBE sounds amazing! :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
if you are happy and don't mind the wbr droning then stick with it. I have heard the cobb in person(toddlamp) and it is a ton quieter than my wbr. a little more stock looking as well

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
any wbr owners say that? Maybe compared next to an invidia or hks or some sti jdm angled nonsense but not overall quiet

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Yeah, people say the Whisper is quiet too :icon_rolleyes:

Stan

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting comments and Vinny that's a good A/B comparison in the flesh. I'm more just curious than anythign else, someone's Cobb setup popped up locally and the thought crossed my mind. No made desire to buy it. Yes I am rather satifsfied with my WBR setup. Only gripe I have is the exhaust hanger by the transmission broke off at the weld when I was pushing the muffler to get my STI swaybar in last year. The same piece broke on the WBR axel back attached to my White XT when it was stolen. Other than that its been great.

My WBR catback was relatively quiet at idle but is louder now with the Cobb DP which was recently installed. Vinny are you running a DP as well ? I think Todd has an Invidia.

The WBR was advertised IIRC as the quietest exhaust at idle out there. I like that it has nice grunt at throttle-on but isn't loud or droning when crusing. There are a couple of local guys with Invidia etc... setups that are loud as soon as you turn the key. Fun at the track but not what I'd want every day.

Yeah, people say the Whisper is quiet too :icon_rolleyes:

Stan
Its not ? One would believe by the name....

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
I am running a custom downpipe for my rotated set up(still a full 3in w/ tial vband at both ends) and at idle the WBR isn't terrible. I just feel that at highway cruising speeds(60-80mph) it drones in the cabin. In its defense I havent compared it to anything else for a great distance. I think I have only been in todds car once and it was my first subaru meet and knew nothing about subarus and we were only on the highway for a few minutes.

But I like you have also had a hangar break off my wbr that had to be welded back on

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Its not ? One would believe by the name....
SKSTI is running a MadDad catted DP with a COBB catback, I was running a v2 Invidia (catted with 3" flange) with the 3" WRX-fitment Whisper catback -- my car was way louder than his. My friend is running a Crawford 3" catback on his '07 STi with a stock downpipe -- his car is way quieter than mine. I used to have a 2.5" Prodrive with a COBB catted DP -- that was quieter too, but not by much.

I'm running an STi catback now :icon_biggrin:

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
2,076 Posts
I've run both the WBR and Cobb catbacks with my Cobb catted DP. For my taste the WBR was too loud and droned too much on the highway. I sold the WBR here and picked up the Cobb catback and am glad I did. IMO the Cobb has a nice sound at all levels (idle, WOT and cruising) without being obnoxious.

·
Registered
2006 06 FXT & 05 OutB XT 6 Speed/DCCDPro / Auto
138 Posts
My 2 cents.. I have the Cobb setup. Downpipe and catback. I love it. Not as loud as I thought it would be and Im happy bout that.. Looks good and sounds good. Only problem is I have the hitch and it knocks sometimes. Any ideas on how to take care of this ???? without removing the hitch.. please send them..

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I am running a Helix catted DP with Cobb catback. I absolutely love the sound and get zero drone on the highway.

As for the size, it is 3" except for the 2.5" piece which is on the MIDPIPE. There may also be one on the DP but I don't have so I can't verify. I know for a fact that the midpipe has this piece as I have had mine modified (which is very easy for a muffler shop to do). This has always eerked me that Cobb calls it a 3" when it's really not. But I love the sound and fitment of the Cobb soooooooooo much that I just modified the 2.5" bit nd called it a day.

I also had a flex piece added to the midpipe because i was having fitment issues with my Helix DP and kept killing gaskets.

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
My .02 - Dave (WBR) is an amazing guy and I am proud to sport his products on my car. Way to go supporting a small business!

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT Stick shift
302 Posts
What did you end up doing? I might be interested the COBB exhaust or you WBR for '07 FSXT. I am in Montreal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts