Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I spoke w/ Cobb yesterday, and they said the Vf39/ STI IC map is completed, and Sean (cobb employee w/ XT) is driving around with it now. They want him to put some miles on it, give feedback, and if there are no problems or tweaks to be done to the map, they will release it. :!: :shock: :D

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
fxtacy said:
I spoke w/ Cobb yesterday, and they said the Vf39/ STI IC map is completed, and Sean (cobb employee w/ XT) is driving around with it now. They want him to put some miles on it, give feedback, and if there are no problems or tweaks to be done to the map, they will release it. :!: :shock: :D
So you are saying it will be out in 2007 or 2008?

·
Registered
399 Posts
sirwilliam said:
fxtacy said:
Believe me I tried to get a date out of them, but to no avial. But, at least they have a map writen and are in the final stages of road testing it. That is better than no map developed at all. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
sirwilliam said:
fxtacy said:
man... aren't you the optimist... :lol:

I sure hope they release this... will make my transition to a li'l power increase more likely... ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Rob, I am thinking the same thing, but I also want to be able to look at the vf39 take-offs and tell if they are cracked.... yet all the pictures I have seen are close up to see the crack, and I can't tell what I am looking at exactly. Do you know what to look for? It is on the turbine (hot) side right? Is it looking into the part of the turbine housing that the up-pipe bolts onto?

thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
fxtacy said:
Rob, I am thinking the same thing, but I also want to be able to look at the vf39 take-offs and tell if they are cracked.... yet all the pictures I have seen are close up to see the crack, and I can't tell what I am looking at exactly. Do you know what to look for? It is on the turbine (hot) side right? Is it looking into the part of the turbine housing that the up-pipe bolts onto?

thanks
i agree... i can't see the crack either... :/

I will just get from a trusted source...

as long as there isn't a loss of boost, it should be fine for the time being...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wanted to follow up with you to let you know where we were at with the map development. The vehicle has been running as a daily driver for this past while and has been performing well. I am going to get back on the dyno this Friday to see if I can enhance any of the performance through AVCS tuning, run a little more boost, test CA91, etc. then I would say that this map and map notes should be available for release some time next week. I will shoot to get this ready for early next week, but I would count on having it up and hosted on our web site by the end of next week. Wait...wait, does that mean that I am going to be earlier than stated (in my original post). ;)

The map is going to be developed for use with a STi TMIC, stock injectors, STOCK intake system, and turbo-back exhaust system. We are not going to develop this map for use with the stock I/C because it does not fit appropriately with the VF39 due to the different compressor outlet size and due to the fact that the stock TMIC heat soaks very quickly. I will post more updates as soon as they are available. During this initial FXT VF39 map release period I will be paying close attention to make sure the vehicles are performing appropriately. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Take care,
Christian.

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Christian. said:
Wait...wait, does that mean that I am going to be earlier than stated (in my original post). ;)
Dude- don't go there... we've been waiting since July of 2005 with August as the original release date. The faithful have been supportive.

Cobb (you or Justin) should just admit it's 6 months late, if it really is released next week, and all will be good.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Chrstian,

Care to give us some hard numbers... hp & torque at the wheels? What kind of boost is it running at?

Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
sirwilliam said:
Christian. said:
test CA91
So is the map just going to be for California or is there going to be a 93oct map as well?
I think what he means is that they will have to do some additional testing on a 91 octane map...

·
Registered
67 Posts
TAGXT04, I was not picking a fight. I will do my best to make sure we give more appropriate ETAs for new maps since I more directly assist in the development of them.

fxtacy said:
Care to give us some hard numbers... hp & torque at the wheels? What kind of boost is it running at? Thanks
The torque curve is nice and flat from 3400 RPM to approximately 4800 RPM, then it has a taper to redline. On our dyno the vehicle was producing very high 290+ ft. lbs. of torque for the plateau then tapering to redline. These measurements are taken from the wheels. The horsepower was peaking around ~260.

I have targeted boost for around ~16 psi for now. We want you guys getting your performance map...we don't want you guys walking all over stock STis. ;)

Christian.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Christian. said:
TAGXT04, I was not picking a fight. I will do my best to make sure we give more appropriate ETAs for new maps since I more directly assist in the development of them.

fxtacy said:
Care to give us some hard numbers... hp & torque at the wheels? What kind of boost is it running at? Thanks
The torque curve is nice and flat from 3400 RPM to approximately 4800 RPM, then it has a taper to redline. On our dyno the vehicle was producing very high 290+ ft. lbs. of torque for the plateau then tapering to redline. These measurements are taken from the wheels. The horsepower was peaking around ~260.

I have targeted boost for around ~16 psi for now. We want you guys getting your performance map...we don't want you guys walking all over stock STis. ;)

Christian.
are you developing this for stock XT exhaust and uppipe?

I'll take it, but I would think you should basically treat it like a stage 2 STi map... people attempting this upgrade should already have a TBE and Catless Uppipe...

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
DanzBorin said:
sirwilliam said:
Christian. said:
test CA91
So is the map just going to be for California or is there going to be a 93oct map as well?
I think what he means is that they will have to do some additional testing on a 91 octane map...
Hey, I am just getting answers for you folk that still aren't running those VF39s :wink:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Christian. said:

fxtacy said:

Christian.
With our final drive ratio of 4.44:1, and the numbers you are getting, somewhere between Sti AP stg1 and stg2, I don't see how we wouldn't walk all over a stock STi. :D :twisted:

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
DanzBorin said:
are you developing this for stock XT exhaust and uppipe?

I'll take it, but I would think you should basically treat it like a stage 2 STi map... people attempting this upgrade should already have a TBE and Catless Uppipe...
Agreed. If you're trying to run a VF-39 through a stock TBE, then you should be working on getting a TBE before worrying about the map.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Walking over stock STis is just a protune away anyways. =) I've walked a STi with at least turboback exhaust.. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Christian. said:
I know you weren't...

Back to the VF39 map...

The Cobb website has 280hp / 310 ft/lbs at the wheels for a stage 2, 93 octane map. You are quoting 260hp / 290 ft/lbs with VF39 and STi TMIC? Can you give a comparison hp/torque number for the stage 2 93 octane map on this same dyno?

·
Registered
67 Posts
sirwilliam said:
The STi AP stage 2 works great. I am curious to the status on the COBB TMIC :wink:
We have seen the first prototype and are awaiting the second prototype. The design is the best I have seen for a TMIC (I know must come across as biased, but I am purely speaking of the design). The function is yet to be tested. My hope is that I will begin testing of the new FMIC in February/March of this year.

As far as a comparison of the FXT VF39 MT map to the Stage2 93 STi...I will not be able to compare those. The database with the old dyno #s is being serviced/backed up. Once it is back I can compare them, but I do not know when that will be nor if I will have time then because I will be assisting in the campaign of several race cars this season so my time will be spent traveling/tuning/wrenching, etc. My guess is very close in comparison.

Take care,
Christian.

41 - 60 of 270 Posts