Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any tuners in the area, and was wondering if its worth buying a COBB AP just to get stage 1. Not even counting the power gains, I've heard it's a smoother map than the factory one.

I find my car pulls great most of the time, in 1st through 3rd, but stepping on it in 4th or 5th often results in jerky hesitation. Would the AP maps have any improvement here for an otherwise stock car? (it only has a Cobb SRI intake, which I plan to remove)

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had stock for awhile before jumping the gun to Stage 1 - the AP map took out a lot of "deadspots" in terms of acceleration.

There is definitely more HP available on tap, better MPG but the biggest difference I saw was the change in consistency in acceleration!

Hope that helps.

-Daniel

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD and 535hp
4,706 Posts
Generally, if you have hesitation issues in higher gears, this could indicate an issue such as a vaccum leak, dirty maf sensor or fouled up oxygen sensor. Sounds like your engine needs a general tune up before making such a purchase. Adding more power won't totally solve the issue at hand, and could in fact make it worse. Cobb's products are awesome but try addressing the issues at hand before making more power.

·
WFC #574
2004 XT 5 Sp
56 Posts
i had a tuner that i work with flash my ecu.
Carbibbles is his name on romraider.
i had a cobb hooked to mine and his tune is far better than a cobb, plus he put on FFS ^-^

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
you can get an etuner for the ap

a lot of ppl here use ray at turbotek

aps are very easy to use

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Every car is different, and yours is far from new. So, it's hard to say what the result will be. Ideally, you'd work with a tuner who uses a dyno to create a map specific for your car, area and fuel. If you feel like experimenting an AP may be worth a try, but don't expect huge power gains or drastic results, map is very generic. Usually, people get the AP knowing they will be tuning the car professionally later on, ability to switch maps on the fly is a neat feature that you won't get from other tools.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I'll try and eliminate whether there's a vac leak, the plugs are new and the MAF has been cleaned. I'll probably go the simplest route and get an AP eventually, I'm not looking to go further than stage 1 at this point. The car needs enough maintenance as it is :icon_wink:

One more question, I am re-installing the factory air intake (the vacuum cleaner sucking of the COBB one gets annoying fast). I think I have all the parts. In the circled part below, is there nothing below that scoop? Just a hole facing down in the engine? Or is there another part that attaches it behind the headlight. Thanks. (not my car in the pic)

PS. How can I tell if an oxy sensor is fouled? The gas mileage is already poor on account of the turbo haha.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
If you are not looking further than running the off the shelf Stage 1 map, do not get the AP -- you don't need it unless you just have extra money in your pocket. I'd spend that money on some light-weight wheels if you don't have them yet, you'll notice more of a difference.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had another thought, what about bad motor/transmission mounts? When you roll on the power smooth, it's less likely to happen, whereas if you hit it faster or at an awkward time it tends to get the 'pulsating' feeling in the drivetrain. My old WRX had the same issue, but I sold it before I fixed it. This car only has 75k miles on it however.

Anyone else had motor mounts fix a similar issue??

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Flat foot shifting, maybe. Won't do much on a 4EAT lol

Stan

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
85 Posts
Honestly, a Used Cobb AP, a new Down Pipe and the Stage II OTS map is a great setup for the XT. It is much faster than stock and if you drive conservatively you will gain ~3mpg over the stock tune driven in the same manner.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Every car is different
The Stage II map was by far the worst-driving, least safe map I've experienced on the '07 XT I owned, would never recommend it. I used it with COBB catted downpipe, Prodrive 2.5" axleback and stock intake.

Stan

·
Registered
04 FXT 4eat
53 Posts
i had good success with the PDXTuning , custom map after the shelf maps from Cobb. They take all your mods into account and email you one. I thought it was much smoother than the shelf maps. Not trying to bump a vendor or anything , just my personal experience with the shelf maps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts