Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cobb confirmed I can us their intake without the AP. Has anyone here ran into problems with this setp sans AP?

Also, do I need a heatshield for this mod? If so, will the SPt heatshield work?

many thanks

·
Registered
2008 FSXT
266 Posts
I have the SPT intake and heatshield on my 08 FSXT. I don't believe you will run into any fitment issues with the spt heatshield and cobb intake.
Also, the car will run fine with the intake...but don't expect anything in terms of performance. I feel nothing different, but only bought it for the nifty sounds so I'm cool with that. I would rather spend my money on something that is of benefit though, so now I sit and wait for the AP!

-Marc

·
Registered
2010 Sexually Trans infec 6MT
2,406 Posts
Should be fine but I don't think it's worth the money as there is no performance gain at all.
The stock intake is fine even at stage 2 (I believe) and if you want to hear the intake just do the snorkoscopy.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,131 Posts
You never "need" a heatsheild in the strictest sense. It will function without it.

However, from a performance standpoint, yes, you NEED a heatsheild. Unsheilded short rams suck in nothing but incredibly hot air. You can litterally watch the ECU yanking timing down low to deal with the intake air temps.

On the stock turbo, unless you are running more than about 16PSI, there wont be any real benefit. You will gain a little bit, but litterally, it will be 3-5whp. Not nearly worth the cost, as its impossible to feel that, and not enough to make any measurable difference in how fast it is.

At stage 2 the gains are real and you are looking at 10-12whp, again tough to feel, but 10-12whp will make a difference in overall performance. It will be slightly faster, even if it doesnt feel different.

·
Registered
06 X
724 Posts
The stock intake is fine even at stage 2 (I believe) and if you want to hear the intake just do the snorkoscopy.
True, but there is a difference in the way the intake sounds w/ snorkus delete vs. short ram. I personally don't like the way my snorkus delete sounds (prefer the short ram), but that may be also combination of various other mods including equal length headers.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. In a few hours I'm picking up the intake and the Spt heat shield. Once I install I'll post notes on the heat shield/Cobb intake combo fitment.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Intake and Spt heat shield are in. The heat shield went right in without modification (followed the instructions provided)..the trick is to manuever the front flange under the power steering hose. the biggest pita was removing the gdam snorkus malorkus. i removed it from the bottom not the side ...maybe that was the issue.

sorry for bad pics

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah...forgot one thing. When I reconnected everything the engine would turn but not start. It dis this twice then it came on....normal?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XTS 4EAT
186 Posts
Oh yeah...forgot one thing. When I reconnected everything the engine would turn but not start. It dis this twice then it came on....normal?
i just got the cobb intake installed today, minus the heat shield. maybe it's all in my head, but i feel like throttle response and acceleration are improved. is this a reality or is it just wishful thinking?

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stock = no sound. cobb intake = air sucking sound when accelerating and a bow off valve sound when shifting/releasing the gas pedal. but you can't hear it all the time. it's at its max sound at certain rpm's and when you have the pedal 1/4 depressed...then it quiets down.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XTS 4EAT
186 Posts
stock = no sound. cobb intake = air sucking sound when accelerating and a bow off valve sound when shifting/releasing the gas pedal. but you can't hear it all the time. it's at its max sound at certain rpm's and when you have the pedal 1/4 depressed...then it quiets down.
yeah it's almost as if the sucking sound is coming through your hvac vents. any passenger in the car will be able to tell exactly when you're accelerating if they listen. however the sound is not overbearing and manages to become part of the regular engine noise after you get used to it.

but like i said before... there seems to be a definite difference in performance too but maybe it's all because of the sound. i'm installing the heat shield at some point this week so we'll see. modliving, do you plan on reflashing the chip once the Cobb AP is ready for the 07-08 FXT?

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah it's almost as if the sucking sound is coming through your hvac vents. any passenger in the car will be able to tell exactly when you're accelerating if they listen. however the sound is not overbearing and manages to become part of the regular engine noise after you get used to it.

but like i said before... there seems to be a definite difference in performance too but maybe it's all because of the sound. i'm installing the heat shield at some point this week so we'll see. modliving, do you plan on reflashing the chip once the Cobb AP is ready for the 07-08 FXT?
Hell yes! I already have the cobb catback installed (which definitely drowns out the intake sound)....but once the AP is out i'm going stage 2. you?

·
Registered
2007 07 FSXT
488 Posts
the sucking noise is the wastegate operating and bleeding pressure off of the turbo at partial throttle. i have the spt intake and the noise is loud but not loud enough to make the wife complain.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
2,131 Posts
You should hear my 20G at part throttle, around 11PSI. It sounds like a siren or something. Its SOOOO loud. You can litterally hear it from outside the car like a block away if I do it.

AWESOME to hear the SPT HS fits well with the Cobb short ram. I will be sure to note that so that I can let anyone considering buying one or the other that they play well together.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sighting

You should hear my 20G at part throttle, around 11PSI. It sounds like a siren or something. Its SOOOO loud. You can litterally hear it from outside the car like a block away if I do it.

AWESOME to hear the SPT HS fits well with the Cobb short ram. I will be sure to note that so that I can let anyone considering buying one or the other that they play well together.
IP - i think i saw you driving your FXT in austin in december - driving on 35. your ride looks great. what horsepower/torque are you at with your engine build?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XTS 4EAT
186 Posts
Hell yes! I already have the cobb catback installed (which definitely drowns out the intake sound)....but once the AP is out i'm going stage 2. you?
definitely! that was the first thing i wanted to do but sadly cobb is dragging their feet on it. how do you like the cobb catback? what kind of performance increases did you see?

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
catback

definitely! that was the first thing i wanted to do but sadly cobb is dragging their feet on it. how do you like the cobb catback? what kind of performance increases did you see?
it responds a bit better with the catback....not quicker...just snappier. i was very hesitant in getting an aftermarket catback b/c i didn't want a loud obnoxious sound but i read the cobb was the most subtle. it's louder but mostly at idle. once you're moving along it's pretty quiet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts