Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, that New Englander for Cobb bars.

Anyone running the 25mm front and rear Cobb bars with Swift springs?

I'm going to upgrade at least my FSB from stock to a 22 or 23mm to go with the 20mm STi RSB.

Or, maybe upgrade both front and rear with the 25mm Cobbs. Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
lol you want a front sway bah for your cah? i recommend the 22-3mm up front. should be an alright match for the 20mm rear sti bar.. you def want to have a larger front bar, not the same size.

personally i run a 25/22 setup and couldnt be happier. youll reach the handling limits of the swifts real fast though. theyll be the weak link of your setup!

FYI- ive seen cobb bars snap @ the ends, im not a fan. i like whiteline or perrin. also dont forget endlinks, the fronts will be fine but def the rear!

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Since I've been running the STi rear bah with mo_boost brackets and KB links for quite some time, I figured it's time to do something with the stock front bah. I'm looking at either the Perrin 22mm or Cusco 23mm bahs with (of course) a set of KB links.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Right now I am running the KB botox bolts, stock FSB with stock front endlinks, OEM STI RSB with MoBoost LLWS and KB rear endlinks, and Swift springs on stock struts.

It is a nice setup and much improved over stock but I still want less flex and better handling.

I have the COBB 25mm FSB, KB front endlinks, COBB RSB, and GR2s to install.

I hope that in conjunction with strut tower bars and subtle solutions fender braces, it will satisfy me :biggrin:

Be sure to get the Forester specific FSB...I was running the STI 25 mm, and it was loud. Post #147 shows the difference between the cobb 25mm hollow (sti) and cusco 23mm solid (fxt) bars.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/preachers-04-xt-36545/index10.html
You have exact measurements of that wrong size COBB bar?...I picked up a used COBB FSB bar but just want to be sure.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Thanks guys. Since I've been running the STi rear bah with mo_boost brackets and KB links for quite some time, I figured it's time to do something with the stock front bah. I'm looking at either the Perrin 22mm or Cusco 23mm bahs with (of course) a set of KB links.
I vote Cusco.

It's almost funny how people are afraid to go too big on the front bah and delay upgrading it. I know I was. My opinion now is more front bah is better and too much front bah is much safer than too much rear bah. I was amazed at the difference this upgrade made to both my cars.

Downside of a bigger front bah is more road imperfections transferring to the steering wheel and stiffer suspension feel from having less roll.

Stan

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
I'm picking up and installing some COBB bars from a STI this weekend. I'm actually driving down to RallySport Direct after work and picking up some f&r kb endlinks. Now all I'm looking for is either the whiteline lateral link supports or STI lateral links. Is it possible to just fab up some supports like the whiteline ones? They look pretty simple to make.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I'm running a 22mm Whiteline FSB and a 22mm Perrin RSB. They are both adjustable so I can dial in the setting I want. Having the front bah on the stiffest setting gives a real nice turn in around town, but does cause the car to push (understeer) a bit when cornering at speed. It is funny to change the setting and see how the car reacts. There are postives and negatives to every setting and you can drastically change the feel of your car with different settings. That's why I'd recommend getting adjustable bahs so you can dial in the setup that fits your driving style.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Right now I am running the KB botox bolts, stock FSB with stock front endlinks, OEM STI RSB with MoBoost LLWS and KB rear endlinks, and Swift springs on stock struts.

It is a nice setup and much improved over stock but I still want less flex and better handling.

I have the COBB 25mm FSB, KB front endlinks, COBB RSB, and GR2s to install.

I hope that in conjunction with strut tower bars and subtle solutions fender braces, it will satisfy me :biggrin:

You have exact measurements of that wrong size COBB bar?...I picked up a used COBB FSB bar but just want to be sure.

dont forget your strut tower bars and h-brace too....:evilatyou:

I don't have exact measurements...but looking at the picture, you can tell that the cusco is a bit wider, and has obvious different shape/bends. DO NOT run a STI COBB FSB....truss me.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
It's funny, but my car doesn't really push. I can stand on the gas in 2nd going through a tight corner, it will spin wheels through the turn but will not understeer. Ask Silke, she's ridden with me in the twisties. I wonder if the stiffer springs are helping, but they aren't THAT much stiffer than Swifts.

What I am curious about is how much it takes to bottom out the front with Swifts and touch the bumpstops. Playing with my Miata's suspension (I'm running GC sleeves and can adjust the height), I learned that when being too low I'd get on the front bumpstops and it would push. Upgrading to a bigger front bar actually allowed me to make tighter circles playing in parking lots in 2nd which is counter to what you would think -- my suspicion is the stiffer bar kept me off the bumpstops.

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
in 2nd your not at very high speeds. Try it over 60mph and you should notice some decent amount of understeer even if your tires are gripping good. Less roll, but more push. I'd say under 40mph a big front bar gives you really nice and tight turn it. Atleast it does for my setup anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
There is a turn I take almost every morning on my way to the beach with the dog before work. With my good tires, I take it in 5th even when it's wet at 55+ mph, and it does not push. I swapped to my stock wheels for the winter almost a month ago and now it'll push in 4th, but that's just the tires.

Stan

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
There is a turn I take almost every morning on my way to the beach with the dog before work. With my good tires, I take it in 5th even when it's wet at 55+ mph, and it does not push. I swapped to my stock wheels for the winter almost a month ago and now it'll push in 4th, but that's just the tires.

Stan

Which turn is this? I need a benchmark next time I'm home :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
It's where number "515" is, going south on Great Highway, getting onto HWY 35. Be careful there though.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Along with your BABs (big a$$ bahs), what rear strut tower braces are you using? Along with a new FSB, that may be the other mod I'd still want to do.

BTW, I'm running cowl stays (fender braces) and subframe locking bolts too. With 1.5 degrees negative camber all around, it feels pretty neutral.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
i installled the bar along w/ my new suspension so its hard to distinguish what helped the most and where. that being said, a rear strut bar wont make or break your setup, but it will def help a lil! every little bit helps w/ the soft and sloppy forester.

if you want the most bang for you buck start swapping out bushings where ever u can for groupns!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts