Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick up a Cobb AP, however, I'm wondering if a dealer can ever see that I used an AP's tune. Or when I'm done with the AP does the car revert back to "normal" (stock)? If I ever have to bring the car in for warranty work, I'm wondering if the use of an AP will void the warranty?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,265 Posts
If you remove the tune when you take it in...then no they can’t.

then just reinstall it

If you just have the tune...no upgraded exhaust, IC, etc. you will be fine. It’s safe.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
129 Posts
The dealer can see how many times the car has been flashed with a counter and how much history is in your tables. One or two starts before bringing it in will let them know it has been tuned and reflashed. Most dealers will deny engine claims if your tuned.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer can see how many times the car has been flashed with a counter and how much history is in your tables. One or two starts before bringing it in will let them know it has been tuned and reflashed. Most dealers will deny engine claims if your tuned.
Have you confirmed that or heard it first hand from a dealer?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,265 Posts
Yes. Both dealers I go to are ok with stage one as long as don’t change fuel/air (exhaust/stage 2 etc). Subaru is generally conservative with tuning as compared with other companies.

Both Cobb and my tuners have told me that if you wipe stage 1...dealers won’t know. I’ll trust them.

Regardless, I was upfront with Subaru before I gave them a lot of money for their flagship forester and they said ok

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,265 Posts
When I bought my Evo, Mitsubishi allowed me to modify and go stage 3 ...fantastic.

My next car will be a stinger and Kia will allow me to change the exhaust and air and cover me for 10 years.

Like I said, Subaru is conservative, but not covering a stage 1 COBB is laughable

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,017 Posts
hoshie is so full of crap it's not even funny. Your local dealer being mod friendly is NOT the same as the manufacturer being mod friendly.

Kia will allow you to do what??? "exhaust and air" is so generic as to be laughable. I dare you to take your 9 year-old Stinger into the dealer with no cats, a blower, and a tune and ask for them to replace your engine for you under warranty. You'd better be that dealer service manager's BFF and have nude pics of the regional manager!

To the OP, this has been discussed ad nauseum on NASIOC and other Subaru websites. The dealer cannot determine whether the engine has been tuned, but they can check the checksum for the number of reflashes and time of last reflash. If you spin a rod bearing and unmarry your AP (go back to stock for the ECM) and have your vehicle towed to the dealer you'd better expect to be on the hook for the entire repair and hope for the best.

The dealer can also tell if you ARE CURRENTLY tuned, so please, if you want to play the game, don't show up at the dealer EVER with your car tuned. They may do something as simple as checking for any codes or ECM updates and note that your ECM is locked, which may affect your respective warranties.

Seriously, any buffoon telling you to approach modifying and tuning from the opposite, to assume the manu's are cool with your mods, is absolutely, 100% foolish! You should approach it with a measured level of fear and know that you must, "pay to play" and hope you'll be covered if something goes wrong under warranty.

I hate to be such a dick about this, but it really makes no sense to give people the impression that they can go Stage 3 and then expect to have any failures associated with the mods to be covered by the manufacture. You can go ahead and tell me to prove that the dealer can use your tuning against you. I don't have to. All I have to do is put a certain level of fear in right-thinking people who can't afford a new engine and might not mod or tune based on my advice, as opposed to the opposition advice to pretty much do whatever you want...

This guy's logic is exactly the same as saying, "getting pulled over for speeding!? You're an idiot, that just doesn't happen. I've NEVER been pulled over for speeding, and I speed ALL THE TIME, BRO!"

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Did you even read that thread, which you'll notice is SIX YEARS OLD?

There's a huge difference between someone like me who is willing to pay to play and is warning those who can't afford to do so that there are indeed risks, and someone like you who is peddling a false narrative... I implore those of you who are considering tuning and modifying your engine to please read what hoshie posted and other forum threads and make an educated decision, based on YOUR risk tolerance level.

The fact that you consider SEVEN SHORT paragraphs a "novel" is very telling...

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,265 Posts
Who says bro? It used to be cool, but now it’s reserved for defensiveness.

oh I pay to play. And I’m in a tuning world. You acting like it’s black and white is funny stuff

truly laughing still

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
My post is almost literally saying that tuning and mod'ing is GRAY area. Your post is basically saying that you can go Stage 3 and be good to go. You're a ridiculous human being for recommending what you have to newbs considering Stage 1+.

Irresponsible.

Note: "bro" is still used by many people in the United States as a sarcastic way of referring to someone who is ridiculous as their fraternal buddy. This is all available on Google, if you're curious...

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,265 Posts
I never said you can go to stage 3 and be good to go. I am very fortunate with that relationship we developed and the coverage I have received.

was fantastic

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
I never said you can go to stage 3 and be good to go. I am very fortunate with that relationship we developed and the coverage I have received.

was fantastic
You're implying that it's NORMAL to have dealers that are 100% OK with any mod by vaguely stating that you're cool with your local dealers, over multiple makes.

There's no way that it's prudent for anyone, regardless of their personal experience, to tell curious new members that they're good to go modifying major components or tuning their ECMs and that they can still assume that their dealer will be perfectly fine with it and cover their warranty fully. That is strictly case-by-case and dealer-by-dealer.

The OP and others considering modifications need to assess their level of risk tolerance and finances to determine whether they want to modify their turbo Subie. It's NOT full-proof and not every dealer will high five you for being smarter than the OEM tuners.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,265 Posts
You think I’m implying something.

for you it may have come across that way.

I’m telling you I wasn’t implying that at all.

you can keep writing novels about it if you like.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
You and I don't need to agree. The OP and others will read and interpret what they will. I couldn't care less about your TL,DR logic. I can't possibly be the only person who thinks a novel is >>>> 7 paragraphs consisting of 2-5 sentences. Jeebus.

I also can't be the only person who thinks a replacement engine is worth a little more consideration before going even Stage 1, regardless of how "chill" the service dude at the local dealer appears to be.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,265 Posts
So now you’re going to tell me what everyone else thinks I was allegedly implying ... even though I’ve told you specifically there was no implication to be made there...

get to know people. Build relationships. Be cautious ... I think we’d probably agree on a lot of stuff on this issue.

But like you admitted...you were being a dick.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
You win. I’ve said my piece. 🍆

1 - 20 of 20 Posts