Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently came in contact with some local Impreza guys in my area and I was talking to them about tuning. They mentioned that we do not have an authorized Cobb tuner around our area. They said they all have gotten theirs tuned

My question is what is the difference between the two and what are the pros and cons of the two?

if you want an open source tune, Ant can do that, he's in pensacola, and posts in this thread.

if you have an accessport, or want to go that route, theres no cobb authorized tuner here, you'd probably be best off with an e-tune(where u create ur own datalogs, send them to the tuner, and he sends you refined maps).

Everyone here will pretty much tell you to go opensource since its pretty cheap(no clue what ant charges, prob around 100 bux).

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
Phil (BAC5.2) and I, as well as others, have debated this till we were both blue in the face. In the end we had to agree to disagree...

Here is the summation of my opinion...

AP, UTEC, and opensource tuning are all good options. Really, it comes down to what your tuner likes to use.

The most inexpensive and seemless of the options is opensource. My going rate right now is $100 a tune. One of the problems with opensource tuning though is that since it is so inexpensive to get into, everyone and their cousin does it. You run the risk that some backhill redneck that doesn't know his donkey from a hole in the ground will represent himself as a qualified tuner. So you have to do your due diligence...

With a UTEC or an AP, obviously, costs go up. Both are perfectly fine platforms on which to tune, and they have one advantage on opensource...map switching.

Now, Phil and I got into a serious arguement in that he thinks opensource is unreliable and unable to support 600whp applications. I personally have never "bricked" an ECU, nor have a tuned a 600whp car. So, if you are working with a good tuner, I don't see reliability issues. And honestly, how many of us are driving 600whp cars?

I won't argue about whether it can or can't support this, because I haven't personally gone there yet. But I don't see anything in the way of getting there. You can rescale the MAP and install a 5 bar sensor. You can go to a bigger ID MAF tube. On the 02-03 ECU, you can go SD and get rid of the MAF completely. Anyhow, I'm rambling...To much information I'm sure for your question...

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great info. Im going to go with the accessport. I do like the switching of the maps as an option. Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts