Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the searches and read tons of posts on the Stage 1. Still, I'd like the opinion of anyone who has an otherwise stock XT automatic and has gone with the Cobb Accessport Stage 1 setup. I'm going to keep my recently purchased 2005 auto XT stock with this one possible exception. What sort of differences would I see. Thanks in advance for any experiences and opinions!

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
I have an '06 FXT 4EAT with the COBB AP Stage 1. How much of a change? Well, I think it is noticeable, and the throttle response seems better/quicker, expecially from very low speeds. Seems like somebody had an almost stock XT/Auto dynoed before and after, and gained about 30 WHP.

Is it worth it.....maybe. The difference is not that great, IMO, but I do believe it is noticeable. However, the AP is a big chunk of change. I already have most of the toys (VF39, STi TMIC) to raise the power above Stage 2, so I really bought it to support that, not just stage 1 - now if I can only find the time.....

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
(this is just my opinion)
given how little work it takes to do the STI conversion, I'd think that is a better way to go. As good as the Coob AP is, it's no match for the safety that comes from a factory ECU tune.

alternatively, I'd think a downpipe or uppipe would be money better spent.

·
Registered
2005 FXT/AT
46 Posts
I've done it.

I have a '05 FXT/AT. I liked the car quite a lot with the OEM mapping. I started with the Cobb Stage 1 on it and ran it for about 4 months. I LOVED IT!! Remapping the ECU makes the car so much more drivable because of how the boost is controlled. It also appears to map the AT to match the boost, but I haven't looked at the details of the mapping.

I was having so much fun, that decided to go to Stage 2 - and I'm glad I did. With Stage 1 and a Cat-back, that car has a nice low rumble to it. When you add the downpipe - you get a stronger rumble. Really makes the car sound serious. Now for some sway bars, silicone pipes and bigger wheels with better breaks. . . . . . .

I love my car, I love my car, I love my car. . . . . . .

·
Super Duper Moderator
2,330 Posts
And how did the gas mileage gow..... Down just like yer right foot on that little pedal on the right?

Chris.

- Research... research.... research...

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
HeyChris said:
And how did the gas mileage gow..... Down just like yer right foot on that little pedal on the right?

Chris.

- Research... research.... research...
Exactly - gas mileage is related to the skinny pedal - the lower it goes, so goes the mileage. Keep your foot off of it, and the mileage will be about the same. But, if you don't use the new found power? Why get it????

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring HTCVT
943 Posts
I'm considering the AP Stage 1 for my '06 XT Auto as well. I'd like to keep my XT as stock as possible, and this is the only tuning mod that I'm really considering at this time. I'd like to eventually replace the stock sway bars as well, but haven't done much research on that yet.

As long as gas mileage stays reasonably similar, it's not an issue to me. If I cared about saving on gas I would've chosen another car. As for more extensive modifications (exhaust, new turbo, etc) I'm not going to be racing it and I'm only aiming to get what I can out of a couple of well-chosen, relatively minor mods without changing the current low-key image and sound of the car (meaning I'm not a huge fan of the rumbly exhausts).

·
Registered
19 Posts
i'm getting mine done (cobb AP stage 1) on wednesday, though the little red devil on my shoulder is egging me on to go stage 2 all at once, and the little angel is agreeing with him! so stay tuned...

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring HTCVT
943 Posts
I got my AP Stage 1 for my 06 XT Auto yesterday and installed it today with the 93 octane base map...

I don't mean to be crude, but if cars had facial expressions, mine would be making an O face. The enthusiastic, slightly angry kind. Sorry, that's just how it is.

I feel like I'm driving a different car. You can hear and feel the rumble under minimal throttle - heck, at idle - and if you thought the engine was begging you to thrash it before, unleashing all that torque, you have no idea. I had no idea, at least. The funny thing is that I felt like this power was always there, but just couldn't access it until today.

Less than half an hour to put a thick carpet of chest hair on your FXT; you can't beat it.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
It's just the beginning... You think stage 1 is fast.. stage 2 is even better.. Then there is stage 3 which can't even be compared to stage 1 and 2.

Doug said:
I got my AP Stage 1 for my 06 XT Auto yesterday and installed it today with the 93 octane base map...

I don't mean to be crude, but if cars had facial expressions, mine would be making an O face. The enthusiastic, slightly angry kind. Sorry, that's just how it is.

I feel like I'm driving a different car. You can hear and feel the rumble under minimal throttle - heck, at idle - and if you thought the engine was begging you to thrash it before, unleashing all that torque, you have no idea. I had no idea, at least. The funny thing is that I felt like this power was always there, but just couldn't access it until today.

Less than half an hour to put a thick carpet of chest hair on your FXT; you can't beat it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doug said:

Is there any lag on the first to second gear upshift? Although slight, there is on my stock '05 XT.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I don't notive much lag and other have commented on the lack of lag. I only can compare it to my Cobb Stage 2 2002 WRX 2.0L which had tooooooo muuuuuucchhhh lllaaaagggg.....

For those of you with the stage 1, under full throttle do you notice a stutter at all? Like the timing is being pulled?

F

·
0 Posts
Lag was significantly reduced. The only time there is lag is when the transmission is trying to figure out which gear to be in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts