Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
11 sec club
04 Cayenne TT
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you were to have a DP thermally coated, would you do the whole thing? Or would you do the part that is most likely to cause the heat to stay in the engine compartment?

Things to consider: A cooler exhaust after the turbo will help velocity of the exhaust (hot always travels to "cold"). When running a wideband, it seems that putting it downstream of the turbo a foot or two adds to the longevity of the sensor due to the fact it's not so hot - even though this might cause a bit of lag on the reading. Leaving the DP only coated on the 'down' portion would leave the bottom part uncoated giving the appearance of a stock exhaust system.

Opinions? Experiences?

I'm going to test fit a TurboXS DP soon and see how much it hangs down. If it isn't bad, then I'll be sending it off for coating.

·
Registered
13 Work Boot Do it yourself
583 Posts
My Cobb uppipe is now coated.
My Cobb downpipe will be coated.
My Entire Magniflow will be coated
and my header will be coated.
It works!

F

·
0 Posts
the head said:
So if you were to have a DP thermally coated, would you do the whole thing? Or would you do the part that is most likely to cause the heat to stay in the engine compartment?

Things to consider: A cooler exhaust after the turbo will help velocity of the exhaust (hot always travels to "cold"). When running a wideband, it seems that putting it downstream of the turbo a foot or two adds to the longevity of the sensor due to the fact it's not so hot - even though this might cause a bit of lag on the reading. Leaving the DP only coated on the 'down' portion would leave the bottom part uncoated giving the appearance of a stock exhaust system.

Opinions? Experiences?

I'm going to test fit a TurboXS DP soon and see how much it hangs down. If it isn't bad, then I'll be sending it off for coating.
I would say it would only be really necessary to do the parts in the engine bay. Manifolds, turbo, up and down pipes.

·
11 sec club
04 Cayenne TT
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. My wording must not be right. I'm speaking solely about the DP (being replaced).

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
the head said:
Hmmm. My wording must not be right. I'm speaking solely about the DP (being replaced).
They both agreed with the DP being coated as well as other under-hood parts. Are you trying to ask if the WB sensor will last longer if you only half coat the DP?

F

·
0 Posts
TAGXT04 said:
the head said:
They both agreed with the DP being coated as well as other under-hood parts. Are you trying to ask if the WB sensor will last longer if you only half coat the DP?
Half coating is not preffered as it can increase the stress on one side of the part.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
is there something like a header wrap material that can be used on the Downpipe/uppipe? I'm also wondering what to use when wrapping the turbo?

inexpensive and effective would be the goal...?

·
Registered
13 Work Boot Do it yourself
583 Posts
I dont think just the DP is going to do much for you to tell you the truth.
If you look at your exaust right after the DP (After the cats, if you are running them), look at the color of the exaust. It get really hot right there.
If you coat the DP the exaust is going to get even hotter.
What you want to do is keep as much heat in as possible until it gets to the tip.
If you really want to go nuts, you can coat the hot side to the turbo also.
Nick

F

·
0 Posts
I have wrap on my downpipe and it cuts down imensly on the heat in the engine bay. Also at the suggestion of one of the forum members, I remobed the weather stripping at the back of the hood to help disapate additional engine heat.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,932 Posts
FXT said:
I have wrap on my downpipe and it cuts down imensly on the heat in the engine bay. Also at the suggestion of one of the forum members, I remobed the weather stripping at the back of the hood to help disapate additional engine heat.
i would watch out if you live were it gets cold were as leaves and/or cnow could get in there as well as small varmet

J

·
0 Posts
I have a Forced Air technologies TBE which is ceramic coated from DP to Magnaflow. I did'nt put on the turbo heat shield and to be honest it seems to dissipate heat pretty well. It is full 3" all the way so it flows pretty good. Probably not much help but if you need advice on Coating you could call Robert at FAT, I'm sure he would be glad to answer any questions related to coatings, exhaust flow, and perfomance. www.forcedairtech.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts