Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Litchfield 330 STI
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clutch seems to be on the way out on the car, is it the same clutch as an equivelant 2004 sti saloon lads or if not to save my ringing litchfield anyone got a part no for me to work off.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Sti 6 MT
68 Posts
Curious as to what milage you got on it?
I've 50K and the engagement seems to be near the end of the peddle travel, but not slipping yet.
Give Welch's Group or Litchfield a call they'll know.

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,978 Posts
I've 50K and the engagement seems to be near the end of the peddle travel, but not slipping yet.
I've been thinking just the same lately. 65k miles. My 2 litre S turbo went 100+ with no clutch worries at all. Mind you it didn't get the same amount of grief.....

·
Registered
2004 Litchfield 330 STI
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clutch

Curious as to what milage you got on it?
Give Welch's Group or Litchfield a call they'll know.
46k clutch not slipping yet but pedal as you say right at the end of travel and is getting on my nerves as very difficult to feel in on times.

A

·
0 Posts
46k clutch not slipping yet but pedal as you say right at the end of travel and is getting on my nerves as very difficult to feel in on times.
Why don't you simply wind the push rod inwards on top of the pedal to lower the biting point?
It's easy to do and may save you a new clutch as it will start slipping if the pedal keeps the clutch depressed..
I wonder how many people actually know you can adjust the biting point on a forester..

·
Registered
2004 Forester Sti 6 MT
68 Posts
Surely if the rod is adjusted in to disengage the clutch earlier (bite point lower in the peddle travel) then you run the risk of not fully engaging the clutch when the peddle is released resulting in slip and more wear ?

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,978 Posts
Surely if the rod is adjusted in to disengage the clutch earlier (bite point lower in the peddle travel) then you run the risk of not fully engaging the clutch when the peddle is released resulting in slip and more wear ?
Shouldn't have thought so unless you go nuts - even if it will let you adjust it that far.

A

·
0 Posts
It's the other way round, if the pedal is at the top and the clutch is slipping then the loosening of the rod is allowing the clutch to fully disengage..
I have done it on both of my Subaru's over the last few years, my forester especially needed doing as when you sat in traffic and the car got hot the clutch pedal would rise to the top and make the clutch slip, I backed it off a few turns and problem solved..

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Why don't you simply wind the push rod inwards on top of the pedal to lower the biting point?
It's easy to do and may save you a new clutch as it will start slipping if the pedal keeps the clutch depressed..
I wonder how many people actually know you can adjust the biting point on a forester..
I for one didn't and wouldn't mind lowering the biting point of mine a little. When you say wind the push rod inwards, I assume you mean turn it clockwise (facing forward towards the front of the car) so that it winds in towards the bulkhead?

A

·
0 Posts
I for one didn't and wouldn't mind lowering the biting point of mine a little. When you say wind the push rod inwards, I assume you mean turn it clockwise (facing forward towards the front of the car) so that it winds in towards the bulkhead?
No it winds into the pedal bracket, there is a 14mm nut on the back of the pedal, loosen this off and wind push rod in a turn at a time, you can then test biting point and tighten the nut to lock rod in place.
Ideally the pedal should have 1cm free play before you hit resistance.
Andy

A

·
0 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this, but if the clutch is not clearing properly do you wind the rod in or out?

Many thanks
So is your clutch almost on the floor? if that is the case then you need to extend the rod, easiest way is to loosen the nut and try winding it either way a few turns and see what happens..
You will find out which way is correct as you clutch pedal will have a higher or lower biting point..
Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts