Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this issue a while back on the old boards, but I wanted to revive it here.

In the cold weather *only* (say, 50ish F and below), engaging and disengaging the clutch often causes a squeak from the pedal, sometimes it's barely audible and sometimes it's fairly loud.

I brought the car to the dealer last year, and all they could say is that they'd had a few cars come in - not just Foresters - with the same issue, but that there hadn't yet been a fix. They lubed it up a bit, which helped some, but the problem came back fiercly this winter.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a fix yet? I'm going to need to schedule another appointment with the dealer pretty soon, and I'm sure it'll just be to hear the same line that I did the last time.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
I've been succesful on Subaru's with hydraulic clutches which is all Foresters.
I started by adding a dab of multilithium grease, or high temp silicone grease to the tip of the clutch slave, just at the point where it touches the release fork. I push the slave actuator back into the slave cylinder a little to allow me to put a small dab between the tip and the place it contacts the clutch release fork.
On most vechicles I service, the noise stops there. One did not, so I determined it was the pivot or fulcrum on which the cluch release fork pivots down on the tranny side of the bell housing. On that car, I put a dab on high temp silicone grease on a long q-tip (10" long like Dr's use). Pulled the clutch fork back (took some pressure), pulled out the rubber gasket on the fork / bell housing, and somehow was able (with great dexterity and difficulty), got a smear of grease on that pivot.
I used a very bright light, and it pays to have small hands and not to be of big stature.
I did remove as much as I could before doing this, like the Air filter assy and the upright bracket on the drivers (US) side.
Hope your is just the slave actuator contact point.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
We have a member here, his/her nickname is WD40. I think that person might help. :)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, Mr. WD40 has been through every piece of that pedal assembly, but he just wasn't up to the task.

Thanks, Ferret. I'll give that a shot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a squeak on my 04 FXT and isolated it to the clutch return spring on top of the engine manifold. It is hard to see, and even harder to lubricate without getting lube all over the top of the engine. I applied a bit of lube to a skinny stick and used it to reach the ends of the spring. It helped.

Brushless car washes spray cleaner solution through the intercooler and remove the lubricant from the spring ends after a while.

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
I've been succesful on Subaru's with hydraulic clutches which is all Foresters.
I started by adding a dab of multilithium grease, or high temp silicone grease to the tip of the clutch slave, just at the point where it touches the release fork. I push the slave actuator back into the slave cylinder a little to allow me to put a small dab between the tip and the place it contacts the clutch release fork.
On most vechicles I service, the noise stops there. One did not, so I determined it was the pivot or fulcrum on which the cluch release fork pivots down on the tranny side of the bell housing. On that car, I put a dab on high temp silicone grease on a long q-tip (10" long like Dr's use). Pulled the clutch fork back (took some pressure), pulled out the rubber gasket on the fork / bell housing, and somehow was able (with great dexterity and difficulty), got a smear of grease on that pivot.
I used a very bright light, and it pays to have small hands and not to be of big stature.
I did remove as much as I could before doing this, like the Air filter assy and the upright bracket on the drivers (US) side.
Hope your is just the slave actuator contact point.
Any Diagrams? My clutch squeek is driving me insane! Everytime I push the clutch pedal in, it squeeks. It's almost as if there is no grease and it's just metal to metal contact!

Help!

·
Registered
157 Posts
my clutch squeeks too, the dealer said its the clutch bushing that is squeeking(mrr. WD-40 just was not up to the task) they had to order a replacement but it sounds like its common.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT STi'd
1,982 Posts
It's probably the hill holder squeaking (if you have a hill holder)

Pop the hood and have a friend activate the clutch. If the hill holder squeaks (it's on the drivers side under the MC and behind the washer tank) lube the pivot and it will go away. I lubed mine at 800 miles and it has not returned (I'm at 42,XXX)

Pretty common and easy to fix

-Ben

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
653 Posts
Good info! My squeak seems to be a bit more random.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got a 5 MT Forester 06 and a 6 MT 350Z Roadster 04 both do it from time to time. The Nissan seems to be more often but the clutch on that thing is fairly stiff. I wouldn't worry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts