Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey has anyone else had this problem? After replacing my clutch I started getting this intermittent clicking in the clutch pedal when its slightly depressed. I thought it was some kind of wear in the clevis pin so I replaced it but the noise is still there.

I can't attach a link due to insufficient posts but I've posted a video on Youtube showing the issue. Its title is:

MVI 2245

Any insights appreciated.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
Is this the video?

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Can't play the video just now, but is it the pedal switch?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
In the video there are times when the click occurs after the pedal switch has fully closed, and sometimes it occurs before, so it does not seem like the switch is the issue.

Does it feel like the pressure in the hydraulic line momentarily builds up and then releases when the click occurs? Or does the clutch otherwise go down smoothly, and the click is sort of an incidental sound?

Since you just replaced the clutch, the most logical thing is to suspect the clutch itself, any bearings that were replaced, the slave cylinder, and possibly the master cylinder. But the video sounds like the click is inside the car. Did you feel to see if the return spring (in the car) might be the source of the clicking?

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Is that a pedal switch (the one at the left where the sounds seems to be coming from)? It looks more like a detent mechanism, or a spring. If there aren't electric leads connected to it, then it can't be a switch, lubricate the plunger and spring mechanism. It the plunger has developed a groove, you may want to replace it. If there are electrical leads connected to it, then it's a switch. Don't lubricate it since grease and oil conduct electricity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. I am pretty sure the sound is coming from inside the car. I think that replacing the clutch as changed the characteristics of the pedal effort & take up point, highlighting the issue.

It feels like something is catching as when it clicks you get feedback through the pedal. Its intermitent and as you can see on the video, its inconsistent where it occurs on the stroke. The spring on the left is like a bump stop device not a switch.

My guess its that its either spring at the top of the clutch pedal or the master clutch cylinder rod. I was hoping there might be someone out there who had experienced the same thing as replacing those components is costly and pretty time consuming, especially if it turns out not to be the cause. :huh:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Is he rubber cover on the pedal in good shape? Mine is cracked at the top and clicks/catches.

Stan

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I am pretty sure the sound is coming from inside the car. I think that replacing the clutch as changed the characteristics of the pedal effort & take up point, highlighting the issue.

It feels like something is catching as when it clicks you get feedback through the pedal. Its intermitent and as you can see on the video, its inconsistent where it occurs on the stroke. The spring on the left is like a bump stop device not a switch.

My guess its that its either spring at the top of the clutch pedal or the master clutch cylinder rod. I was hoping there might be someone out there who had experienced the same thing as replacing those components is costly and pretty time consuming, especially if it turns out not to be the cause. :huh:
Try this:

1. Press the clutch pedal with a piece of wood or something that can be used to hold the pedal pressed without slamming on your fingers. Anchor the piece of wood to the seat or something to hold the pedal away from the switch or detent (whatever that thing is)

2. Now get some tool or whatever object you could use the press and release the switch (or detent, or shock absorber) several times. Make sure the noise is not being caused by this thing

All you have done is to figure if the problem is with the switch. If the so called "switch" is not the problem, then look elsewhere. My point is that you have to somehow isolate every component leading to the pressure plate until you figure with one is causing the noise. You have to start somewhere :)

·
Registered
2013 XT Limited Auto
98 Posts
Did this problem ever get solved? I have the same noise coming from my clutch on a '10 with less than 6,000 miles. Is this something that the warranty should cover?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts