Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a touch unimpressed with the pedal "feel" on the Forester (09 SH, diesel). I get the impression that the biting point is a touch variable.

On the underside of the master cylinder, there's a large (1.5" or so) bung retained by a circlip. I'm gonna guess this is a damper- a diaphragm or piston with a spring behind it- to slow fluid motion.

Anyone had one of these apart and can confirm my suspicions? Better, has anyone had a go at altering said damper?

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
963 Posts
Interesting about the clutch, cos from new I've experienced a double 'take up'. Pulls away ok but then there is a second mechanical action, as if it's a lock up action ?, or some form of slippage control ?.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the same mastercylinder on the 09s, the earlier one seems to have an add-on bit whereas this is built-in. So I dunno if the gubbins will be identical. Likewise the slave cyl looks different. I'll try to get pics later.

But yes, I'm a competent driver, fully capable of operating the clutch at whatever speed I desire. I've no need to dump the clutch for any reason, but I *do* like to be able to feather it smoothly, knowing exactly when it's gonna do stuff.

I'll document what I find...

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
963 Posts
Has it anything to do with the reliability of the Dual Mass Flywheel :icon_question:

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I spent a half-hour looking at the clutch release system more closely. Here's the '09 master, you can see the bulge at the bottom for the built-in damper. I haven't ventured into it because what i found at the slave end is probably more interesting.

and this is the slave. There is a screw-in plug at the end (you can see it hiding behind the loom w/ the orange label on) so I decided to have a lookie at the innards.

So with the plug unscrewed- it's sealed by a thin O-ring, be careful not to lose it when you withdraw the plug- there are some little bits.

That's a spring, a plunger with a tiny orifice, and a plate with a one-way flap valve on. I've shown both sides of it in the image.
So that's a fair bit of restriction to flow in both directions. These parts now reside in a small plastic bag...

With this restriction removed, I'm guessing that the damper in the M/C is doing less, if anything. Certainly, clutch feel is much improved; whereas before the clutch was pretty much locked in when engaged and need a quite a long press to disengage at all, now a swift prod of the pedal will pop the revs up, much like putting an MX bike into it's powerband. This faster actuation also seems to speed up the lethargic 1-2 change from the diesel's 6mt.

Can't see any negative effects on the DMF, Mike. The masses are only really active at the resonant rpms and the ECU will still kill the engine of you load it too hard low down.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
963 Posts
Dragging Clutch

dpm, why didn't you make me do this mod sooner :icon_wink:. It hasn't eliminated the baulking or the oil loss since the strip-down last year, but it certainly improves the change, both quicker and lighter.

I was unable to remove the brass retainer without at least slackening the slave bolts, and in my case I removed them completely. I also ended up draining all of the brake fluid. The re-fill & bleed is slightly faffy, so took longer than expected, needing to bleed the master to get fluid through. And of course none of my Easi-Bleed caps fitted the clutch master :shake:.

It is possible to remove the bits without the need to drain all of the brake fluid. Slacken the brass retainer in-situ, but do not dismantle at this point. Remove the 2 fixing bolts for the slave cylinder and lift it so the brass retainer is at the top, secure the slave cylinder and remove the 3 items shown as shown in the OP. The 3 items will drop out if the slave is turned upside down, but so does the brake fluid :icon_eek:

Re-fitting is the reverse of the dismantle. Re-fill, and bleed the slave cylinder as needed.

edit: I've just re-looked at dpm's slave cylinder, mine is different and has a brass retainer that needs a 24mm O/E spanner to slacken.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts