Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what is the easiest way to inspect clutch disk and timing belt in an 07 2.5x. Pics would be very much appreciated. My current milage is 96,000.

·
Registered
2006 wrx
49 Posts
You'll have to pull the driver side timing cover to see both sides of the timing belt (2 piece cover). While not too difficult, I wouldn't worry about it. Age is more a factor than mileage in your case since you have an 07. Just change the timing belt at 105K if you want to play it safe. Is your clutch slipping? If it's not, I wouldn't worry about it. You can't see the clutch disc clearly unless you pull the trans and take the clutch/pressure plate assembly apart. People in very dry or west coast climates may want to pay more attention to the timing belt inspection/replacement than you will have to do since you are on the east coast.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, operates as it should. :) I just really want to see the timing belt though. Planning on a coolant flush soon like this week soon. What else shall I check? This car needs to make it to 300,000 miles.

Also, a have a muffled chattering I hear most notable when coasting in gear. Could never find the source. Car fell off jackstands late in the spring. over 10,000 miles have been driven since but sound has not gotten worse. I annouys me and worries me at same time.

edit, related to recent recall???
I was driving yesterday, light just turned green applied gas, engauged clutch ect as normal and the car bucked. Engine light came on immediatly. Scanned code came up as "cyclender # 2 misfire" Inspect wire and plug. Looked good.

Just got inspection sticker last week, emmisions passed. Current milage is 96,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2006 wrx
49 Posts
Spark plugs, and all fluid changes recommended at 30K intervals for newer N/A engines. Turbo model spark plugs at 60K. I really wouldn't be worried about the timing belt since you have more miles than age. I've pulled many a timing belts that looked pretty good at 105K and probably didn't need to be replaced in fear of failing. My 06 only has 24K so you must drive a lot. Timing cover bolts are 10mm if you really feel the need to check the belt..

·
Registered
2006 wrx
49 Posts
I wouldn't pay too much for a "coolant flush" as Subaru really only requires a drain and fill for fluids. I would save the money and do a DIY coolant fill for around $25 in parts vs. taking it to a dealer and pay $100+ for something they are most likely doing the same thing Subaru recommends---> drain and fill. I do recommend the Subaru coolant regardless of what you decide to do as it is designed for all aluminum components. You may want to see if there are any available updates for your ECU. A dealer would be able to tell if there is a software available based on your ECU's CID (calibration ID). Mine had an available flash for misfire when cold.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help. I am going to flush the coolant myself. They want like $170. I will go to the dealer for the coolant and conditioner.

BTW....

Called the dealer about the recall notice and they say my vehical is uneffected. I read the notice and unless I read it wrong I though my model year was included?

Still looking for info to inspect the timing belt, causes of a misfire if plugs and wires are still good (I wash my engine bay when I was my car, even when hit with pressure washer wires never shorted and car ran fin), and mysterious chattering I can only duplicate when coasting in gear nut is unchanged over the last 10,000+ miles.

Thank you all for your help and input. As I said above, the car needs to reach 300,000 miles hopefully. That is my goal with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts