Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited Only manual for me!
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A funny thing happened this morning. I turned on the car and left it in neutral, warming up as I brushed out some light snow... 2 minutes later, the car lurched forward a bit and turned off. I got back in, turned it back on with no problem, but as soon as I let go of the clutch, it turned off again. Tried putting it into gear, any gear, and it did, but again, if I let go of the clutch, the car spluttered, lurched forward a bit, and turned off.

I tried turning off the car first and then letting go of the clutch, and even with the car is off, it did a bit of the lurching. Called a mechanic friend, to get some pointers while I figured out what to do, and he asked me to put it back in neutral... again, if I let go of the clutch, it died... but if I let go only halfway, the car started to move forward!

It was a very weird feeling driving behind the tow truck with my car on it... but thankfully the local foreign car mechanic said he'd probably have a chance to look at it yet today. Hope it's something simple (and simple to figure out!), or else I'll be spending my tax refund before I even got it. =( First comment I got from a coworker as I walked in: "Should've got a Toyota." Grrrrrrrr...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacing tranny... ?! MY2002

Not good. Not good at all. Just had a quick chat with one of the guys at the shop. Told me two gears were sort of stuck together. They have put things back where they belong, so it's driveable right now, but they don't know what caused the problem, and therefore can't predict whether it will behave for a few years, or do the same thing as soon as I drive off the parking lot.
I asked what they recommended, and he said, "find a good used tranny." Not what I wanted to hear. Has anyone else had this happen? I refuse to believe a 2002 tranny with 140K miles on it would fail with no apparent cause.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
Ouch. Thats definatly what it sounded like... the tranny was stuck in a gear. Well, I have seen it happen in as little as 50k miles, but normally those types of problems dont pop up before 150-200k. My buddy just had to replace the tranny/clutch in his 88' prerunner due to similar symptoms... you can typically find a refurbished one for a respectable price.

Did you happen to find out 'which' gears were stuck together? That would help determine what went wrong in the first place..

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
That is what I suspected, reading your description. Sounds like the mechanic didn't take the transmission apart, but somehow got it to work okay?

My guess is that a soft metal (brass) bushing is worn, allowing things to move about more than they should. If that is what happened, it will happen again, it's just a matter of time.

A good used transmission is the way to go. And a new clutch while you have it apart!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick update. $115 later, I picked up the car Monday afternoon, and have been driving it since. There was a bit of a noise yesterday, which I could hear outside & inside the car, not quite like a grinding noise, but something like it (when in gear, not while car is in neutral), but today I didn't hear it. It has otherwise been behaving as always, gears smooth as butter, clutch also smooth, etc.

The estimate was $1,050 for a used tranny with 32K miles on it, and about $500 in labor and a few extras for other parts here and there. But after opening it up, should they determine it needs the clutch changed, etc., they think the worst-case scenario would end up closer to $2,200.

What can I say, I'm simply not willing to pay that. I've put the car in God's service, as well as my time and energies, and as long as it remains as such, He'll have to keep it running. I'll treat it kindly and do all the required maintenance, but if it's not meant to be... oh, well. Maybe it was a lesson about giving material things too much importance.

·
Administrator
15,085 Posts
If they do have to open it up, get the clutch done anyway. This will save you $'s in the longer term. Fingers crossed!

L

·
0 Posts
yeah I just got mine back...kinda....but I had to put in a new tranny..1100$ Cdn....

I feel your pain...!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lamy said:
yeah I just got mine back...kinda....but I had to put in a new tranny..1100$ Cdn....
Is that $1100 for the tranny itself, or the whole thing, with labor included? What year/mileage on the tranny?
So far, so good. I still hear a bit of the noise; not sure how to describe it, but it's a kind of light rattle. Yesterday I did the first "long" trip since the mishap--just short of 100 miles each way, with some city driving in between. No problems at all, just the noise. Hope my angels are getting paid overtime. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts