Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 forester x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

Just brought my '07 2.5X into the dealership... it has 35800 miles on it. I drive it relatively politely most of the time (i have a play car for beating on), and have used it to tow a 2-up snowmobile trailer a couple of times.

Over the last 8-10k miles, on cold/wet mornings after the car has been sitting all night, I have noticed the clutch has been chattering (or so i thought)... I finally had enough a week ago when it took almost 15 minutes of light-to-light driving (lots of stops/starts) to clear it up... Usually it takes around 5 minutes, or a couple of starts to clear up the problem.

Dealership "couldn't replicate the problem"... so they kept it overnight. They called me today to let me know that "we checked with SOA... there are no recalls, etc... the problem is 'normal' and is due to the fact that it's a hydraulic clutch. when the fluid is cold, this will happen"...

me: "?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" I've driven hydro-clutch cars ever since i've had my liscence... and have NEVER had this problem... EVER... that includes a 20y/o VW, a 5 y/o audi, and a 19 y/o mazda 2600 truck with 280k miles...

personally i'm smelling fish... i'm thinking it's a dealership trying to get out of actually fixing something. Anyone else have any experiences like this??? I live in Maine... cold is a fact of life here... and in this corner of the world... cold/snow is one of the primary reasons subarus are sold... i mean.. seriously?!?

Would love to have some feedback here. Thanks!

-Nate

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
If I don't drive my Forester for a few days, the clutch does feel weird for a little bit first thing in the morning, I do feel a hint of chattering when engaging. It isn't bad though and it goes away quickly. My car has 44K on it.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
If I don't drive my Forester for a few days, the clutch does feel weird for a little bit first thing in the morning, I do feel a hint of chattering when engaging. It isn't bad though and it goes away quickly. My car has 44K on it....
Same here, with 30K, especially on cool damp mornings. And the car is not even a Forester.

·
Registered
2007 forester x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I will be going back to the dealership to pick up the car tomorrow AM...

In the meanwhile, I have been in contact with many ... Subaru enthusiasts (including the crew for the local rally team)... coincidently, they have never once heard of a hydraulic clutch "chattering because it's cold"... I'm going to be giving a few other dealerships a call tomorrow AM... really don't want to have to drive all over creation to get this fixed...

-Nate

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
My guess my car's behavior isn't because of the fluid, but rather the organic clutch disk. But like I said, it really isn't very noticeable, I only feel it for the first couple of takeoffs on a cold morning after the car's been sitting for a few days.

Stan

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
^ This.

My dad's '07 BMW ///M coupe has an organic clutch, and it chatters like a mofo when it's cold. We just slip it a little once or twice and it warms up and smooths out. My '87 Ford Ranger was the same way. I doubt it's the fluid.

·
Registered
2007 forester x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a TSB on this very subject. I thought it mainly applied to the earlier Foz's

http://www.scoobymods.com/cold_clutch_judder_shudder-t1836.html

Complements of Peaty
I was actually JUST told about that same TSB via a rally buddy :) Thanks for the link however, informative read! I don't believe this is my issue, or... it isnt the same as mine... we'll find out.. it's nice & cold here in Maine... i'm thinking i will get the tech to "show me" how they "determined the problem".. then i will get it in writing... with mileage documented... etc etc... then it's off to another dealership... 2nd opinion can't hurt right? :)

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
My toyota Yaris does the same thing, as did my pickup truck. It's the organometallic clutch shedding hydroscoped moisture unevenly do to some light glazing of the surface. Absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that the mechanism is a hydraulic slave stetup. Dont worry, just enjoy.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
We are getting cold mornings in Utah now and the clutch "judder" "shudder" is getting so bad I'm afraid I'm going to do something childish like burn up the clutch in anger.

I notice that if I beat the *&^t out of like do a couple of high rev jumps off the line then the judder is gone.

If I had the $ I'd have a new clutch put in. I don't want a new car payment but I can't stand this anymore. 48k miles and I shouldn't have to deal with this kind of crap.

I'm not sure but after driving Soob's for 30 years this might be the last.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
My toyota Yaris does the same thing, as did my pickup truck. It's the organometallic clutch shedding hydroscoped moisture unevenly do to some light glazing of the surface. Absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that the mechanism is a hydraulic slave stetup. Dont worry, just enjoy.
In addition to my Scion doing this now, my Mazda pickup used to do it. Only for the first few uses of the clutch on cold and/or damp mornings. Does not appear when vehicle is new, and gets worse with age. I always figured it was something on the surface that burnished off. Your explanation sounds perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts