Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5XTen PPP
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2007 Forester 2.5XTen PPP a couple of months back would like some advice regarding how heavy the clutch should be.

When I test drove the car there were no problems, it was reasonably light and I never even thought about it. Bought the car and a couple of weeks later it started getting much heavier in traffic when the car was really warm. The dealer had a look and couldn't find anything obvious but fitted a new clutch under warranty anyway, this seemed to improve things but it's never felt as good as on the test drive again.

The symptoms are a normal feeling clutch when cold and a noticably heavier clutch after being stuck in the normal M62 commute for a while, the gear change also seems to stiffen up at the same time. I don't want to go back to the dealer without having a bit more information first.

I absolutely love the car in all other regards, can somebody tell me whether the clutch thing is normal?

Steve

·
Registered
2007 2.5XTen PPP
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's done 34k and is still under Subaru warranty. I'll see if I can add a picture to my profile or the gallery.

A

·
0 Posts
If you are stuck in slow moving traffic either the clutch assembly expands or the fluid in the slave cylinder and hoses starts to expand, it will bring the clutch pedal a little nearer the top and make it feel heavier.
Under normal driving the clutch should feel fine?
Mine does this and I almost got stuck whilst towing my caravan uphill in heavy traffic last summer, the pedal came to the top and hit the stopper and it was just starting to slip, once it got rolling again it cooled down it returned to it's normal state.
I have now adjusted the pedal down a bit so it doesn't ever hit the stopper when in heavy traffic.
It is perfectly normal!
Andy

·
Registered
2007 2.5XTen PPP
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The clutch is ok in normal use, just a little heavier than I would like when fully warmed up in traffic.

Is the clutch setup different on the 07 model XT because I can relate to what you are saying except the bite point seems to go slightly lower rather than higher as the temps go up, this might explain the stiffer gear change (clutch not fully disengaging perhaps).

I'll see how it goes because it's under warranty for a while yet and I'll get it looked at again if need be. Thanks for your help.

Steve

A

·
0 Posts
You can adjust the bite point of the clutch by turning the rod under the pedal, just slacken off the nut and turn it until the desired bite point has been reached, with the engine switched off you should have around 1cm of travel until you feel the pressure start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts