Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been driving Imprezas for years. Just picked up a Forester S (6/97 build date, a real early one) with 151k and a broken clutch fork, so I didn't get a chance to drive it before I bought it. Replaced the fork (new from dealer), clips, greased everything, and did a clutch kit while I had it open (NAPA clutch set; I had previously used a similar set in my '99 GC8 with good results). Pedal seems real low, but with no free play (clutch engages about 1/3 way up from floor). I got a slight bit of extra push by adjusting the actuating rod at the pedal, but I don't want to overdo that. Hydraulics seem fine, the slave pushrod moves as soon as I touch the clutch pedal and doesn't bleed down if I keep my foot on it. ZERO free play at the fork/pushrod/TOB, but that seems to be pretty much the same as on my current Impreza Outback. It drives fine if I push the pedal a little farther than I'm used to, but I'd really like to get it engaging a bit higher. I've read other posts mentioning low pedal probs. Was there a TSB on these early forks? Any reported probs with NAPA clutches? Do I need to pull it apart again and adjust the pivot, if there's an adjustment there?
Mike
PS; I might even keep this thing if I could get it to be a bit less "mushy" to drive, but that's for another thread...

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
I adjust clutch master cylinder pusher rod a few times to get the right feel for me. I am not sure if the master cylinder on the transmission that pushes the clutch fork have adjustable rod also or not.

It might be the NAPA pressure plate use less spring rate and need more travel to disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
1997 forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No adjustment at the slave pushrod, only at the master. It just seems weird that there is no free play. I'm nervous having the release bearing in constant contact with the pressure plate. Maybe that's how newer cars do it, but I come from a background in British cars :rock: where that would cause total toasted release bearing.
Is the pivot point in the bell housing adjustable? I hate the thought of opening it up again, but I might have to do it. It looked like this thing was running without any sort of lubrication for quite a while before the fork broke.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts