Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester MY09
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an MY09 Forester X, lately the clutch seems strange, almost as if there isn't much left on it, if you know what I mean. Has 28000 on the clock, no off road - not quite "driven by a little old lady", but not far from it - has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
06 Forester 2.5 Auto
14 Posts
It doesn't seem unreasonable for it to be replaced by 30,000km on an AWD.
It's preferable for the clutch to wear than to transfer the wear to your driveline.

Try a hill start and watch the revs climb before car moves to see if there is slippage.

·
Registered
2008 Forester MY09
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An AWD should be no different to any other vehicle with regards to a clutch, all it does is disengage the cogs while another is selected. 30,000 km out of a clutch is rubbish, I've had cars with 100,000+ on them that haven't had a clutch replaced.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Describe what has actually changed. Do you sense slipping? Or is it shuddering? Or is it just a rough feeling or a soft feeling? Try driving another and compare.

And you're right - 30K is ridiculous for easy driving like you have described. You could get 10 times that. At 127K mine feels new.

·
Registered
2008 Forester MY09
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's as if it is harder, like a ferrari for example. I'm very aware of where in the stroke it takes hold and it is higher up than what I call usual. I'll get the boys to look at it next service, it could be just me.

·
Registered
2006 XT
60 Posts
It's as if it is harder, like a ferrari for example. I'm very aware of where in the stroke it takes hold and it is higher up than what I call usual. I'll get the boys to look at it next service, it could be just me.
Could need new fluid and a bleed, or it could possibly be either the master or slave cylinder.
My 06' XT has over 103000km and the clutch still feels fine.

The clutch fluid (which is actually brake fluid) is changed at the 50kkm service I think, but wouldn't cost much extra to have it done early if needed.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2004 MY04
33 Posts
I had to replace a clutch in an 80's model wagon - over 200k kms though.

Our oldest Foz (190k km) still has the original clutch.

I did have a clutch replaced in a 2001 model Foz though - it was pretty much stuffed after 120k km.

Should expect at least 100k km plus out of any clutch IMO.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,071 Posts
I'm not sure if it applies to the newer Subaru's but there was an issue with the slave cylinder partially due to it's location. It was sitting on top of the tranny in back of the motor. During hard driving or when stuck in traffic it would get very hot. The pedal would almost stick to the floor and have to be pulled back up with a foot. I had this happen on a track day. After it cooled down it was fine. First thing I'd do is what has been suggested, bleed it and see if that helps:

some info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/bleeding-clutch-t491.html?s=&postid=1239#post1239

http://www.scoobymods.com/clutch-sticking-tsb-t2041.html?t=2041

http://www.scoobymods.com/tsb-spongy-clutch-2-t5046.html?t=504

·
Registered
MY05 Forester
20 Posts
I did have a clutch replaced in a 2001 model Foz though - it was pretty much stuffed after 120k km.
My MY05 at 100k had an engine rebuild and the mechanic said the clutch was ~80% worn. He quoted half of what it normally would have been because the engine was out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts