Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

First post on the forums; I've done some extensive searching for useful information and been redirected here a few times without much success. I've seem some posts that seem similar but not 100% inline with my observations.

Summary of my issue:
Vehicle is 2007 subaru forester. While changing out two of the backlight bulbs I swapped in LED's, now I'm having no power to these bulbs. All other warning lights etc seem to work fine. Dimmer switch affects the lights behind the mileage, ac cluster lights, shifter lights, and clock.

No voltage at either side of the 3 bulbs that should illuminate the gauges. Continuity tests seem to have strange results; with bulbs out, both ends of where the bulbs connect have continuity to one wire orange(white stripe.) I've seen some diagrams of wiring for this from another site but am unclear their validity based on my results.

I am not sure where the relay for tail lights and illumination is located, from my discovery this would appear to be power, and a low side driver on the illumination control module for grounding, I haven't seen much on illumination modules after 05? I tend to be on the road a lot at night and wanted to see if there's anyone that's had a similar issue and could shed some light, pun mildly intended :grin2:

thanks for any input

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,250 Posts
LED are polarity sensitive, did you try reversing how they're plugged in? If you did this & still not lighting, did you try reinstalling the incandescent bulbs to see if they light? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2007 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I tried OEM replacements, I've even probed both sides with a meter to see if there's any potential across; no dice. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
I've read others in this situation ended up frying something on the circuit board that needed resoldered. Can't recall what happened now but it kept me from attempting an LED install.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@2.5x_sleeper Bulbs 2/3/6 are the only ones that seem to have issue. I thought these were affected by the dimmer switch but that seems to conflict diagrams I've found, so I question their accuracy.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read others in this situation ended up frying something on the circuit board that needed resoldered. Can't recall what happened now but it kept me from attempting an LED install.
I'd have no problem doing any sort electrical work, I just need accurate information of what is wired to what. Cars have always been tough to find reliable sources and as of lately I don't have the time to build up my own schematic to work from like I've done on other vehicles for lighting mods.

Tbh I didn't want to be bothered to do LED's initially but the ones NAPA supplied burnt out in <1 year (~30k miles) and even the socket they fit in almost melted but those bulbs have been replaced with standard bulbs and work fine :confused:

·
Administrator
41,250 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bulbs I installed I presumed to be good but regardless there's no voltage across the bulb from a meter. I back-probed i12 pin 4 (thought this was orange/white for some reason - will investigate in the light tomorrow) and it seemed to have continuity across both sides of the bulb when the bulbs were not plugged in *special note with the assumption it was the three previously mentioned bulbs*

What are the other two light references from this schematic? Assumption the LCD back light references the mileage indicator lights.

I'm unclear what the mew - COM, or I/F block represents; from what I can see the grounding B10 would reference connector I10 pin 10 as a black wire and connector I12 pin 11 as orange and white?
I would venture a guess that voltage should be present at B36 PIN4 violet wire coming from harness, this should have continuity to one end of the bulb socket.

·
Administrator
41,250 Posts
The Subaru technical document doesn't go any deeper into the "magic" on the combination meter circuit board. They don't expect the circuit board to be repaired... as they say, on the trouble shooting tree, if NG, replace.

The illumination control is via the BIU thru the [V] & [OrW] wires. Excessive current draw or a short will blow the BIU.

Bobby...

·
Administrator
41,250 Posts
@Jesse B that you for post the solution to your problem. I added "SOLVED!" to your thread title.
<snipped> I didn't want to be bothered to do LED's initially but the ones NAPA supplied burnt out in <1 year (~30k miles) and even the socket they fit in almost melted but those bulbs have been replaced with standard bulbs and work fine
Sound like you were running the wrong voltage bulbs, as in, 12V bulbs instead of 14V long life bulbs? Those hot bulbs could have damaged the circuit traces? :confused:

We haven't had to replace any combination meter bulbs in either of our Foresters.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only the top section had a break the red outlines where that powers. I suspect it's been on the edge for a while lights would intermittently come on and off, I assumed napa bulbs. Thanks for the update to solved on the title. I have no problem with electrical work I just need a diagram I can somewhat trust to work from so I appreciate your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts