Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I Pat and i'm new here. I've got a problem which has prompted me to join.
I recently(last thursday) replaced the clutch and transmission on a 5 speed 1998 forester. I checked the trans over and over to make sure there was nothing wrong with it including a trans flush and nothing was out of place. After install a clunking was very noticably while accelerating or under load and it is coming from the front passenger side floor board forward. You can feel the fibrations through the the shifter yet the trans shifts perfectly with no issues. Everything looks esthetically sound and i have gone over and over the vehicle again and again and came up empty handed. I replaced the axle on the front passenger side but it did not change anything. I put the forester on a hoist and ran it through the gears while suspended and nothing happens(no clunking-all is normal)
I'm somewhere between a trans with a torque flex issue, a motor mount, a strut mount, or..........this is where i need your input.

Any help would be great,

Thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
10 Posts
I'm no subie expert, but have you looked at the motor mounts? Look for broken welds or split rubber etc. I know its happened on other cars I've worked on and the symptoms were as you are describing them.

·
Registered
1998 forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what makes the most sense because the thing had sat for 2-3 weeks before i got it, without the transmission in it, so while it was moved around the other shops yard and towed over to my shop, that motor was sitting on only those 2 mounts, but heres the part i dont get, if it were the motor mounts, would the car do it while reving in neutral? When i through it in neutral and coast, the clunking disappears, its only while under acceleration on the ground

1 - 4 of 4 Posts