Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 XT with M/T 33K mi.

Driving me nuts and not being able to find the source is getting to me as well.

During slow smooth accel/decel it is a squeak-like sound that seems to be coming from the center of the car near the firewall (can't tell if it is inside/outside).

If I accelerate a little harder it is more of a clunk-like sound.

I removed the hood thinking it might have had something to do with the rubber seal/plastic bezel between the hood scoop and the intercooler---noise still there, so hood back on.

I've been under the car looking for something obvious, under the dash looking for something there as well.

Anyone had the clunk/knock from the front sway bar mounts? I read the TSB. Do these symptoms sound consistent?

I also isolated the A/C lines that run along the firewall thinking they were hitting each other and/or firewall. No such luck there either.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Pitch stopper ???

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea.

The first place I checked was that upper motor mount/pitch stopper. It all looks and feels good. When I drove around the block without the hood on I didn't notice any abnormal movement of the motor either, certainly not any movement that corresponded to the noise.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
My front swaybar mounts knock around quite a bit. I tested it by disconnecting the swaybar from the front endlinks and just letting it hang while I tested it (not long term! as the swaybar it just hanging down and could hit the road or suspension). I unbolted the swaybar from the endlinks. No clunking, bolted it back together and it started clunking again. Of course when I ordered new bushings, the dealership sent me ones for an outback XT which is a 20mm instead of the FXT 21 mm bar. Thanks for reminding me I have to send those back and get the correct bushings!

My steering rack bushings are also worn out, you can hear a clunk and see the whole rack shift around when you turn the wheel, which also causes some clunking over bumps.

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll disconnect the bar and zip tie it out of the way---go around the block and see if the noise goes away.

I do not feel anything through the wheel to suggest my rack is moving around and the steering feels good. The noise doesn't occur while going over bumps either one wheel or both wheels at a time so I didn't think it was suspension related. However, it could be clunking in a fore/aft manner and not an up/down motion.

2K miles left on the warranty, if I don't solve it soon, it goes to the stealership.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
58 Posts
I have had this ever since I had a minor front-end collision back in 2007 and it's been driving me crazy in my '01 L. My steering rack is on its way out so I'm going to need to replace it anyway and I'd imagine I'd want to do the bushings for it as well. Any sources on a reasonable place to buy the aforementioned without draining my wallet? Not at all against rebuilt or used either provided it's working better than my current one, of course.

In any case, I sure hope that is the case. Please share your findings once you've tested that out as it's driving me insane in an otherwise relatively quiet interior!

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You guys/gals with the suggestions are great!

Ruled out the sway-bar.

Took a closer look at the pitch link. Does this look to be the culprit?

link

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's the pitch link. :woohoo:

Lubed the area where the bushing is separating from the rod and torqued both bolts good and snug. No more squeak, no more clunk. I realize it is a temp fix but I'm not a "parts changer", I like to know what the problem is.

Now that I know the problem, I'll replace with a better bit once it starts making a racket again.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a better SOA OEM part that fits the application than what came on the car?

I'm not interested in replacing the piece with another of like-quality that lasted less than 36K miles.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Which brand came with the car?

The STi pitch mounts are supposed to be a bit stiffer than ours.

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure of the question. You mean that there are different OEM suppliers for the 08 Forester XT?

If so, I'd have to pull the intercooler again for another look. The pics I took are not high quality enough resolution to read markings on the bushings.

If not, it is the stock Subaru one.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
I thought you have an after market one on your car right now. Do you not like after market ones? Go for a Group N one I say.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Received the "Group N/Sti" mount from SubaruGenuineParts / Chaplins Automotive Group the other day...

Not happy at all due to their unwillingness to accept the item back at their expense. They want to charge me 20% restocking fee and freight for the return.

The picture in their catalog is of a much beefier mount not the one they will ship you. NO disclaimer stating the "actual item may differ...blah, blah, blah" on the photo. I thought I was ordering a better mount with substantially more mass....not the same thing with slightly harder bushings.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Is the one you have OEM? And the Group N one is only slightly stiffer?

From what I read, it should be a big improvement over stock.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Received the "Group N/Sti" mount from SubaruGenuineParts / Chaplins Automotive Group the other day...

Not happy at all due to their unwillingness to accept the item back at their expense. They want to charge me 20% restocking fee and freight for the return.

The picture in their catalog is of a much beefier mount not the one they will ship you. NO disclaimer stating the "actual item may differ...blah, blah, blah" on the photo. I thought I was ordering a better mount with substantially more mass....not the same thing with slightly harder bushings.
Subaru changed the design "some time ago" although many sites still use the "old" dog bone picture.
The benefit is in the bush material not the shape.

Check out "fourortwowheels" comments in this thread.......

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/pitch-mount-49260/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts