Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I swapped my coilovers for OEM suspension to go back to stock for the winter. I have a rear STi sway bar with Kartboy endlinks & moboost support. Has been perfect all summer.

I had to disconnect the Kartboy link on one side from the sway in order to fit the strut into the clevis. Put it all back together... I reconnected the Kartboy link while both rear wheels were in the air . I had installed the STI sway with both wheels on the ground to preload it originally. Now I have a clunk issue (only driven a couple of times since install). I suspect it could be the sway since I played with it. Should I disconnect both ends with the car on the ground and then retighten them so they are connect under load ? Or would it be sufficient to just redo the one end I disconnected ??

Its not a loud clunk, just a "if you listen for it, you will hear it" until my exhaust drowns it out under accell.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
When the car is in the air the swap bar is under "load". The sway bar only comes into play when the body is rolling, and with the car in the air it is "rolling" on both sides. You should install it with the wheels on the ground to take the load off. Even if one bolt is loose by the smallest amount you will get a clunk a lot of times.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, that's what I was finding confusing, on the ground to me suggested load on. What I'll do is with the tires on the ground unbolt on both sides and retighten. It didn't make noise a day before so I'm sure this is the cause. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like you hit it right on the nose. I was suprised to find the bolt was lose even though I'm sure I tightened it suffciently 2 days ago. To make sure its done right I took the bolts off and put them back on with the wheels on the ground. Went for a test drive hitting lots of bumps and no more clunk.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
One day I was getting ready to swap my endlinks and I got not even a 1/2 turn of a bolt done when my wife called and I had to leave real quick. The sway bar clunked like crazy the whole drive, even though the bolt was barely loose. I tightened it when I got home and the clunk was gone. It is amazing something so small can make such a drastic difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts