Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for some LEDS that are close to the stock greenish stock color. I installed a DIN pocket in my dash and i would light to back-light it. And possibly replace the lights in my console with them.

So anybody know where i can get some lights to match the stock color?

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,821 Posts
I assume you mean LED assemblies all packaged and ready to go at 12 volts? Take a look at MPJA as described in my Sources Thread. Or check out the Indicator Light listings from the eBay seller down near the bottom of that post - Kittybabies Auto Car Beauty Shop!

If you want to work with bare LEDs, try eBay seller cwithk, also described at my sources thread.

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you mean LED assemblies all packaged and ready to go at 12 volts? Take a look at MPJA as described in my Sources Thread. Or check out the Indicator Light listings from the eBay seller down near the bottom of that post - Kittybabies Auto Car Beauty Shop!

If you want to work with bare LEDs, try eBay seller cwithk, also described at my sources thread.
I saw your sources thread, but i'm a bit confused as to the color of stock. I know that the incandescents have a sleeve, so i'm not sure if i'd have to sleeve white LEDs or there's something that matched.

Actually i would even be ok with an incandescent to match the light level of the rest, but i worry about heat. it's already really hot back there with the custom stereo and Sirius and wiring etc.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,821 Posts
Since LED color is governed by the material they're made of, I don't think there are really too many different shades out there. But it's going to be hard to assure a match based on a catalog description. So you take your chances, or you hope that somebody here might have already found the pot of gold!

I'd stay away from incandescents.

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since LED color is governed by the material they're made of, I don't think there are really too many different shades out there. But it's going to be hard to assure a match based on a catalog description. So you take your chances, or you hope that somebody here might have already found the pot of gold!

I'd stay away from incandescents.
Could i sleeve a white LED with a stock bulb cover?

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,821 Posts
I don't see why not. What sort of stock bulb cover do you mean? I can't really envision anything in my Forester that I'd call a bulb cover.

I've got quite a supply of white LEDs and the appropriate dropping resistors. I'd be glad to mail you a couple if you don't already have any.

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see why not. What sort of stock bulb cover do you mean? I can't really envision anything in my Forester that I'd call a bulb cover.

I've got quite a supply of white LEDs and the appropriate dropping resistors. I'd be glad to mail you a couple if you don't already have any.
If i remember correctly, for that greenish tint on the dash lights, there's a cover over the bulbs behind the console isn't there? When you say dropping resister, you mean so they're not super bright right?

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,730 Posts
Factory/OEM back lighting uses miniature incandescent blubs with a rubber colored covering... some call these condoms. :wink:

An LED operates on 1.5 to 2.5V DC, so for it to operate on 12V DC, you have to have a dropping resistor in series with it to "drop" the 12V DC to what the LED can handle (1.5 to 2.5V DC). :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Factory/OEM back lighting uses miniature incandescent blubs with a rubber colored covering... some call these condoms. :wink:

An LED operates on 1.5 to 2.5V DC, so for it to operate on 12V DC, you have to have a dropping resistor in series with it to "drop" the 12V DC to what the LED can handle (1.5 to 2.5V DC). :smile:

Bobby...
Ok, so where does one go about finding one of these bulb prophylactics? And how do i make it so the LED is no super bright compared to the rest of the dash lights? I don't want my pocket being like a shining beacon at night.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,821 Posts
Oh, those bulbs deep down inside. I was thinking more in terms of ones that mount out in the open.

You would probably do better with the little ones that Bobby suggested than experimenting with LEDs. As for the condoms, they have been discussed here before. It sounds like you might find them at an auto parts store, or a dealer. Just have a more polite word in mind when you describe them! :icon_wink:

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,730 Posts
Ok, so where does one go about finding one of these bulb prophylactics? And how do i make it so the LED is no super bright compared to the rest of the dash lights? I don't want my pocket being like a shining beacon at night.
I'd go with LED's, since they use less power, last longer & the mounting would be easier.

Curious, is this "pocket" you want to light the factory/OEM one with the cover that fits under the single DIN head unit? :confused:

As to the brightness of the LED. You could easily reduce the brightness by increasing the resistance of the dropping resistor which would reduce the voltage that reaches the LED. If this is something you want to do, I'd recommend wiring up an LED/dropping resistor & stick it in the pocket to see if it does what you want it to do, before you install it permanently. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd go with LED's, since they use less power, last longer & the mounting would be easier.

Curious, is this "pocket" you want to light the factory/OEM one with the cover that fits under the single DIN head unit? :confused:

As to the brightness of the LED. You could easily reduce the brightness by increasing the resistance of the dropping resistor which would reduce the voltage that reaches the LED. If this is something you want to do, I'd recommend wiring up an LED/dropping resistor & stick it in the pocket to see if it does what you want it to do, before you install it permanently. :wink:

Bobby...
the pocket is an open single din i got off ebay for $12.

There's still the problem of matching the color.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts