Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 98 subaru my horn, cruise, don't work and the air bag light is on. According to the previous threads it is the clockspring or roll connector or combination switch(all means the same part correct?). I looked at various parts houses online and couldn't find anything called a clockspring or roll connector but I did find a combination switch. I ordered it through everdrive.com and there were a couple choices, cruise only, or assm, which I assume is for everything. I ordered the full assembly and what I got is not what I was expecting but I'm really not sure what it is supposed to look like so I'm attaching a picture of it so someone can tell me if this is what I was supposed to get to make my horn, cruise, and airbag work.

Brian

Attachments

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Combo switch (with stalks) like you show is one part. The roll connector is another. They are not the same if that is what your question is. If it's your horn that is not working and airbag. Chances are it's the roll connector not what you have in the pic. that looks like the pic here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/roll_connector_under_steering-t7004.html?t=7004

if you go here:

Subaru parts catalog

and drill down you can most likely find what you need.

edit:

I did a quick look there and see that they show the clock spring and stalk assembly as one unit:

Steering column, Subaru FORESTER ? Subaru parts catalog

see number 1

It's my understanding these are two separate items.

edit again:

Just looked at the service manual and they too show the part as one section. To me it looks like they gave you only the stalk assembly and not the clock spring that is supposed to be attached. I have one other place to check to verify.

Attachments

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Okay I've attached how to remove the roll connector. It looks like the pic you have has had that part removed as far as I can tell. I've also attached the collision part manual (numbers may be dated) section that shows the steering section. I guess the clock spring part can be removed but is sold as a whole assembly. I don't see the plug that should be hanging out the front. This is assuming you have the right part for the right year.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Peaty, looks like I got screwed from everdrive, I'll contact them to find out what the deal is, and why they sold me a complete assembly that wasn't complete.

Brian

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
78 Posts
happened to me...

I did this exact same thing when my clock spring went out on my 98S. I thought it was a complete assembly from overdrive and it turned out not to be. I called them right away and explained my situation, they were very understanding, apologized for the confusion and refunded my money after I shipped it back to them. I might have paid the return shipping but that was all if anything.
The info that Peaty included is invaluable. The clockspring itself is a small ring shaped item with a wire pig tail coming out of it. Check around on ebay or on here for a used one ($50-$100) or a few places on line for a new one ($150-$210). I found a deal on a used one that I put in almost 10,000 miles ago, still working fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
1998 Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JCoov,

were you able to buy the roll connector only or did you have to buy the whole assembly?

Brian

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
78 Posts
yep...

I was able to buy a used one (just the clockspring) from someone here on the board who had one laying around. Watch the classifieds on here, ebay from time to time, or a parts distributor like www.subarupartsforyou.com. The clockspring by itself looks like this 04 Impreza WRX Clock Spring Air Bag Clockspring : eBay Motors (item 170442457142 end time Mar-07-10 13:58:58 PST)

I don't know if this one would work for your application or not. I'm thinking not since its from an 04. Good luck.

Jed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts