Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm going to be plati-dipping my center console when I do my stereo install. Im putting in the Clarion duz(whatever esle)- it's black and the center console trim is silver (pretty much the only silver trim in the car, why did subaru do this??). Anyway, I have an X, so I have manual climate controls with decals on the console for selecting the settings. Can I buy new ones at the dealer, or somewhere else for cheaper??

The hazard button is also silver and I'd like to change that. THe JDM red is cool, but I'm not paying $65 for an f'in button. Are there black ones available? What are my options??

Thanks!

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
In that pic, that's vinyl. You can see the uneven layer at the vent edge (which your vents will hide).

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$8.00 is definitely do-able. Yall should do a red one.

Does anyone sell decals for the climate controls, or am I just going to have to tape over? Really don't want to have to do that b/c even if I'm super careful I'm sure it wont look right.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
The decals don't work on the X, only for the auto climate control equiped cars. But if the 07 X looks like the 05 X, you don't have to worry about painting the area around the controls, it is already black. You can unscrew the knob section from the bezel, and just paint the silver stuff black.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is what my console looks like, sea-scooby, but wouldn't I still have to cover over the numbers and what not to avoid painting over them....Or am i missing something?

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
if the controls are anything like the auto ac controls, the knobs can be removed from the silver console panel. the buttons below the numbers though... i'm not to sure what you do about that.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
That is what my console looks like, sea-scooby, but wouldn't I still have to cover over the numbers and what not to avoid painting over them....Or am i missing something?
I believe the control module with the knobs and the numbers unbolts from the silver bezel, so you can paint the silver without needing to cover anything up.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. If it weren't such a pain to remove the console (from what I've heard and read here) I would just take it off to check myself, but I think I'll just wait until I need to.

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT
38 Posts
I'll bring this thread back from the dead with some updated info. I just tried out an 06 Auto Climate control panel in my 04 XT and everything works great. You just unplug 2 connectors in the back. Subaru kept the wiring the same so it is plug and play. Now painting the dash for 03-04's will be a little easier. I bought the panel from a subaru recycle yard for $50.

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,353 Posts
I believe the control module with the knobs and the numbers unbolts from the silver bezel, so you can paint the silver without needing to cover anything up.
Nope. Gotta cover them up, the knobs come out but the numbers are part of the main section. Unless I'm retarded and couldn't figure out how.

I had to tape it off, but the tape pulled off some of my plastidip so its a little rough around the edges.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
My 08 X looks like sea-scooby's. The console is all scratched down around the shifter area. Any one know if there are carbon over lays for the 08? Black would be cool but I think carbon would look better.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I'll kind of revive this again to provide some follow-up.

thebeep is right. Instead of taping over the numbers and such I actually peeled them off (they are glued on with a silicone type glue). However, as I feared they didn't go back on quite right because I neglected to cover the area when I painted them. It looks fine during the day, but at night you can see a little bit of light leaking through from behind the dials.

Also, I tried to use plasti-dip but couldn't come out with a nice smooth finish even after 4 attempts and a lot of DnA (tip: let the peices soak in the DnA and you should be able to peel most of the paint off at once). I eventually came out with a nice looking finish with Krylon Fusion Camouflage Ultra-Flat Black. I guess they are marketing to the hunters and others but it is a really nice flat black paint. If you use this make sure you apply thin coats and try not to get too much on the trim surfaces that contact each other. A millimeter here and there adds up to a bit of a crunch when you go to put it back together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts