Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester XT CVT Turbo
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks..... trying to figure why my climate control automatically defers to the footwell outlets when I hit the "Auto" button. In other words, regardless of how I have the vents set up via the "Mode" button, whenever I press the "Auto" button, it goes to the footwell ONLY. This is on a 2018 FXT I just got but my 2014 FXT didn't do that. Is that the way it's supposed to function? Doesn't make sense. Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
There are several threads where others have questioned the logic of the system. My 17 XT also selects the floor during the winter. Sometimes activating the A/C sometimes not. I have seen it select other settings as well. It really depends on conditions inside the cabin. Selecting AUTO puts the system in FULL AUTO if I'm not happy with the setting I change it.

If you leave it on the setting of your liking when you turn the ignition off it will hold the next start up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@KLEMMER Thanks, I have read some of those threads and am aware of all you wrote. What I don't understand, and it doesn't make sense to me, it that you should be able to press AUTO and the a/c or heat should come out of the previously selected mode (vents). I have tried this with heat and a/c and the result is the same, although my 2014 FXT allowed you to control your vent mode in AUTO. Just kind of defeats the purpose of having an AUTO mode when you have to adjust the vents manually to your liking. None of my other vehicles ever had this issue. AUTO meant setting the temp and vents to your liking. Why would someone want the A/C only coming through the footwell vents in AUTO mode when it's warm outside or inside? Bizarre.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT
109 Posts
Heat should ideally come out the feet vents only, since heat rises. You also don't want harsh, dry heat blowing directly at your face and hands. It's behaving properly if you ask me.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
898 Posts
Yeah it default to footwell only when heating up, but will switch to foot and dash vent once reaches temperature.

Heat should ideally come out the feet vents only, since heat rises. You also don't want harsh, dry heat blowing directly at your face and hands. It's behaving properly if you ask me.
Problem with that in really cold weather is your foot will sweat like crazy from all the heat while upper body is still freezing.

Along with the piss poor engine heating up makes me think whoever designed SJ has never been to anywhere cold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks but that makes absolutely no sense. Yes, heat rises but if you set the temp at 72 degrees, press AUTO, you should be able to decide which vents the air flow comes from. As for harsh, dry heat, you can point the vents away from those areas. Still doesn't explain it doing the same when the AC is set. Just like other person mentioned, when you do use AUTO with heat, it'll blast out of the footwell only, making it uncomfortable for your feet. Do you have a Forester and that's how it works?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@jzmtl @zeronian Thank you.

Really bizarre set up and I thought I was doing something wrong. My 2014 FXT did not do that. Yes, you can use the MAN mode easily enough but it defeats the purpose of having AUTO.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,213 Posts
@Tommymas1 The ventilation system is very sophisticated. I almost always used it on auto for the first couple of months. Never touched it except for the temp. In all that time the windshield never fogged up. I was impressed. The a/c knows when itjis needed ion summer or winter. Of course there will be times when you may want to over-ride it.

But bizarre?... um..no. Engineers who programed it are smarter than you and I.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
288 Posts
@adc Unfortunately, the engineers did not get to select the trim-line packages.

On my Premium, I added the the All-Weather Package, for cold weather. It comes with the windshield wiper de-icer, heated side mirrors and heated front seats, but guess what, no heated steering wheel (for that you had to jump up to the Limited, with loads of features I did not want, or want to pay for). So when I get into the car in cold weather, because they did not deem a cold weather package as worthy of a heated steering wheel, I need the initial warm air directed to my hands on the cold steering wheel. And it doesn't happen on Auto.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,213 Posts
@1982 Yea..I know what you are saying. Wish I had the heated steering wheel. And like you I like the heat higher. So I just keep the heat directed at my hands.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
88 Posts
This is how every car operates. Never had a car blow warm air out of the top vents unless you switch to them.

Press Auto, then change the vents to which ones you want. This will keep the temp and blower on auto, but let's you use the vents how you want

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is how every car operates. Never had a car blow warm air out of the top vents unless you switch to them.

Press Auto, then change the vents to which ones you want. This will keep the temp and blower on auto, but let's you use the vents how you want

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks but you didn't understand the entire issue. After pressing AUTO, any attempt to change the vents (or temperature) automatically turns off the AUTO setting and defaults to Manual. It's even in the drivers manual that this occurs.

As you said, it should operate that way like every car does but does not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Tommymas1 The ventilation system is very sophisticated. I almost always used it on auto for the first couple of months. Never touched it except for the temp. In all that time the windshield never fogged up. I was impressed. The a/c knows when its needed ion summer or winter. Of course there will be times when you may want to over-ride it.

But bizarre?... um..no. Engineers who programed it are smarter than you and I.

Glad you to hear the engineers are smarter than you. However, doesn't explain why if you set the AUTO feature and try to adjust the vent/mode button, it automatically disconnects from AUTO and defaults to Manual. I have owned many vehicles with this function and this is the first that disengages when adjusting the mode or vents. You should be able to turn it on, select AUTO and adjust the mode/vents to your liking, not having to get stuck with the AUTO only blowing it out of the footwell vents.

That's how I know I'm smarter than those engineers.

Do you have a Forester with dual climate control (FXT 18 Touring)? Perhaps you have a different one and yours doesn't do that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@adc Unfortunately, the engineers did not get to select the trim-line packages.

On my Premium, I added the the All-Weather Package, for cold weather. It comes with the windshield wiper de-icer, heated side mirrors and heated front seats, but guess what, no heated steering wheel (for that you had to jump up to the Limited, with loads of features I did not want, or want to pay for). So when I get into the car in cold weather, because they did not deem a cold weather package as worthy of a heated steering wheel, I need the initial warm air directed to my hands on the cold steering wheel. And it doesn't happen on Auto.
Precisely, doesn't happen on AUTO. Btw, even though I have the heated steering wheel, it is just ok: takes awhile and doesn't warm up the top of the steering wheel (part I use most). So like you, I would want that warm air onto my hands but can't do it in AUTO. I have tried even in warm weather with the A/C and it does the same....goes to the footwell vents only.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,213 Posts
Glad you to hear the engineers are smarter than you. However, doesn't explain why if you set the AUTO feature and try to adjust the vent/mode button, it automatically disconnects from AUTO and defaults to Manual. I have owned many vehicles with this function and this is the first that disengages when adjusting the mode or vents. You should be able to turn it on, select AUTO and adjust the mode/vents to your liking, not having to get stuck with the AUTO only blowing it out of the footwell vents.

Do you have a Forester with dual climate control (FXT 18 Touring)? Perhaps you have a different one and yours doesn't do that.
So it goes out of auto so what? It still controls temp and the A/C cycles to prevent humidification in the cabil. And the fan speed remains as is..scheesch.
No I don't have duel controls.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So it goes out of auto so what? It still controls temp and the A/C cycles to prevent humidification in the cabil. And the fan speed remains as is..scheesch.
No I don't have duel controls.
Now I know why you don't understand as you don't have the same set up. In the dual mode version, when you press AUTO, it goes to FULL AUTO, which ONLY blows in the footwell, defeating the purpose of it being true AUTO from the vents you want it to come from. Basically, it defaults to AUTO which is really manual. If your going to comment, it's best if you know what you're talking about. Scheeesch indeed.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
Now I know why you don't understand as you don't have the same set up. In the dual mode version, when you press AUTO, it goes to FULL AUTO, which ONLY blows in the footwell, defeating the purpose of it being true AUTO from the vents you want it to come from. Basically, it defaults to AUTO which is really manual. If your going to comment, it's best if you know what you're talking about. Scheeesch indeed.
You are the one missing the point. In FULL AUTO the system decides what it needs, hence the FULL. If the user adjusts any setting except temp the system switches to AUTO. In AUTO the fan speed and temp are still controlled by the system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts