Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I feel like this is either a common problem (or a non-issue) or something totally catastrophic so I've decided to ask (after searching of course). If there's already a thread then slap me in the face and link me up; I've found nothing.

I hear a clicking sound coming from what seems to be the under midsection of the car. It may be happening all the time, but I notice it at red lights with the windows down or when I park the car is off and has been running. Any ideas what this might be and if its normal or not?

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
I believe it could be the solenoids in the tranny.

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: First post edited to say that this sound is heard also when the car is not running, but was just turned off. Any ideas guys? Some googling has led me to heat shields. Would those be on the exhaust maybe? If so, should they click? I'm no mechanic, so sorry if this sounds stupid.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Its normal. My '09 ticks like a clock shop after shut down and also when idling once its up at operating temp and been driven awhile. Its the heat shielding around the exhaust plumbing, as already mentioned. The exhaust chamber that is mounted amidships also ticks from heat expansion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts